Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help making a checkerboard
Awesome! Thank you so much!
You're welcome.

You do realize that each square is only 1x1cm, right ?

That seems rather small for a boardgame.

Anyway, here are the steps:

do the math and define the size of one square
create a new (filled) canvas with that size
expand the canvas to twice the size, with the size ratio locked
this gives you the full 4 square pattern size with one square, the missing bits should be transparent (add alpha channel if not)
duplicate layer, re-colour squares with: lock alpha channel and drag'n'drop the colour you want
flip the layers vrtically and horizontically until every square is where its supposed to be
merge all layers
copy to the clipboard and it should appear as a clipboard pattern in the patterns tab
apply pattern to final canvas size
(04-27-2018, 12:02 AM)cappin Wrote: Sorry I'm fairly new to gimp. Can't figure out how to open this.

File>Open with Gimp... This is just a compressed version of the XCF, that Gimp can save/open like an XCF.
Quote:I want 13cm cubes wide by 11cm cubes tall... So 143 cubes total? The GEGL operation thing doesn't make sense when trying to input centimetres.

The GEGL checker works in pixels, so get your calculator out or let Gimp do the arithmetic for you.

Make a new canvas and start off the way you mean to continue.
You want 300 ppi (usually for printing purposes) so set that first.
Now set units to cm and the size to 13 x 11. Note Gimp work in pixels there is a tiny rounding error in the conversion. You end up with a canvas size in pixels 1535 x 1299 pix.

[Image: 4pGXg86.jpg]

Do not OK that. Go back to the pixels/in drop down and change that to pixels/cm

[Image: 7S5qvyC.jpg]

Remember the value shown, 118 pixel/cm Now you can ok that and create a new blank canvas.

Into the GEGL checkerboard dialog. All you need do is set the Width and Height values to that 118 pix (= 1 cm)

[Image: hVqALYP.jpg]
@rich

the checkerbord OP wanted has three colours.
I dont know how he/she managed to do that with the Checkerboard filter.
Maybe a second layer....
I was answering the question "The GEGL operation thing doesn't make sense when trying to input centimetres."

However, looking at the OP's image. (canvas size is wrong by-the-way, although only a pixel) Using the GEGL checker filter?

Tedious, but apply to ever decreasing selections (snap to grid needed here). No need for a stack of layers. Just for the demo. https://i.imgur.com/7Yxrbt9.jpg
(04-27-2018, 11:12 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Tedious, but apply to ever decreasing selections (snap to grid needed here). No need for a stack of layers. Just for the demo. https://i.imgur.com/7Yxrbt9.jpg

Wow ! How did you come up with this idea ?