Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed about map making.
Greetings GIMP community,

I have been trying to follow a GIMP tutorial on another forums to make a fantasy style RPG map and all was going well until I hit a road block. I've asked for help on the other forums for the tutorial but have not had a reply yet, so I figured I'd throw my question in the wind here and see if anyone can help me.

Link to tutorial: Click Here

I am at the beginning of POST 4: Part 2. I created the new layer called Land Clip... but what does he mean by "filled with white above that"... Does he mean to use the bucket fill with white color and make the whole image on the Land Clip white? I've tried this but when I get to the output slider part my image does not change, it just stays solid white.

If anyone can have a quick read over the link and offer any feedback that would be super helpful. Thank you for your time in advance.

TK
Did you set the layer mode for Land Clip to lighten only?

In the image for Post 4 part 2 you can see the layer mode for Land Clip set to lighten only.
(06-23-2017, 02:43 PM)Blighty Wrote: Did you set the layer mode for Land Clip to lighten only?

In the image for Post 4 part 2 you can see the layer mode for Land Clip set to lighten only.

Yes indeed... I changed the mode on that Land Clip to lighten only.  I think I'm confused about the part that "filled with white above that"...  What does he mean by that?
(06-23-2017, 02:45 PM)Talonkaine Wrote: Yes indeed... I changed the mode on that Land Clip to lighten only.  I think I'm confused about the part that "filled with white above that"...  What does he mean by that?

Looking at the image, the Land Clip layer needs to pure white. Bucket filling with white appears to be correct.
It should work as Blighty describes

Using the more up-to-date Gimp 2.8 single window mode interface. Gimp menu -> Windows -> Single-Window Mode

Summary: You made your well blurred land mass (1) Added noise with layer mode Overlay (2)

Now you have to add a white layer, You can add a layer and fill with white or add it straight as white.
Give it a name while there (3)

[Image: iHUUk4Q.jpg]

Put that layer into Lighten only mode (4)
then Colors -> Levels and draw the Output Levels slider to the left (5)

[Image: kfwfVfb.jpg]

Gives this (6) for the next step (whatever that may be)

[Image: wKkK343.jpg]
Thank you! I was dragging the output level from left to right.... I didn't notice the one on the right that I could drag to the left.... sigh.... haha Thanks guys! You are the best.
Well after solving the last problem, I realized the step before that problem is different as well. I appears my Cloud Noise looks different then the guide...

For Guide: https://www.cartographersguild.com/showt...php?t=1142

I just spend 3 hours doing this over and over trying different things to figure out why it's not working. So here is what I have done....

[Image: 1.jpg?access_token=1!OSxeBTbF4hBjWdP2sye...on=0.129.2]

So as per post 3 on the link...  I inverted the image and added a blur (75px) as seen below...

[Image: 1.jpg?access_token=1!uJCCLlHjQFxYpt6aLLp...on=0.129.2]

Then I created a new layer called Land Noise and then added Clouds Solids Noise....

[Image: 1.jpg?access_token=1!kl8MvNuBZvmhvMsP3LH...on=0.129.2]

Here is what it should look like after noise and adjusting the output...

[Image: 1.png?access_token=1!ZJtU2jY3SKLhJ3H6q-d...on=0.129.2]

However as you can see after I add the Noise and adjust the output it does not look like it should. Mine remains solid white with a little blur and solid black. Whereas the tutorial image shows the noise spread throughout the white land, and the edge of the land have been randomized, whereas mine remains unchanged.

[Image: 1.jpg?access_token=1!qo5c6jWrVaJVe-uiyUP...on=0.129.2]

If anyone can see what I"m doing wrong please let me know... Is it because of my resolution. I was creating the image for print so I have 300x300 ppi and 2400 × 3300 pixels. I dunno.. I'm at a loss..

Thanks.
Remember that is a 10 year old tutorial, using small images, so there will be differences when applying the various filters to your larger image.

Try this and see where you differ: https://youtu.be/hwBznm4OggY 5 minutes duration.

That goes up to the end of the first section & looks like

[Image: 97V4Jkf.jpg]

Usually I dump the image after making a video, kept it this time, might have a go at following through, if I have time.
(06-24-2017, 10:06 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Remember that is a 10 year old tutorial, using small images, so there will be differences when applying the various filters to your larger image.

Try this and see where you differ: https://youtu.be/hwBznm4OggY 5 minutes duration.

That goes up to the end of the first section & looks like

Usually I dump the image after making a video, kept it this time, might have a go at following through, if I have time.

Thank you very much sir! I'm going to try some of the things you mentioned in the video when I get home and play around with the threshold and blur some more and see what I can come up with. I'm using the high resolution because I plan to print it when I'm done.

Again thank you very much for taking the time to make that video tutorial for me on YouTube. You are the man cool guy!
Well.. I was making good progress following this old tutorial CLICK HERE  .. I'm down at Post 8. However I have hit a snag once again. Having issues adding Bump Map. Looking for help.

The tutorial states: Create a new layer called “Grass Bump Map”. Fill it with rendered cloud noise again, this time setting the size and detail to the max, and selecting Turbulent.

[Image: 1.jpg?access_token=1!G0X8j9PhA4pEtZM56yq...on=0.129.2]

Then it says: Hide this new layer (by clicking off the eye icon). Create a new layer called “Grass Bumps” and fill it with 50% grey.

Am I doing this part right? I simply clicked bucket fill, picked a grey color and used 50% Opacity.

[Image: 1.jpg?access_token=1!zYeJaOOH6i6Vvm5lLwD...on=0.129.2]

Then is continues to say: Set its layer mode to overlay. It will appear to be gone now. That is how overlay works. 50% grey doesn’t change the underlying image, while darker shades darken the image and lighter shades lighten the image.

Now apply a bump map to this “Grass Bumps” layer using Filters->Map->Bump Map.

So I do what it said.  I set it to overlay. It does appear to be gone. Then I go into Bump Map......

[Image: 1.jpg?access_token=1!R6a8zyy6VL-g_nxAbFM...on=0.129.2]

Here I think is where the problem is. In the preview I should see my map shouldn't I? There is nothing in the preview except a transparent image. For the Bump Map drop down, I've tried both Grass Bumps and Grass Bump Map layers. Neither of them work.

The last step is: Lastly, apply the “Land Mask” channel as a layer mask like before.
I've done this as well and nothing changes. It should look something along the lines of the photo in the example....

[Image: 1.png?access_token=1!8sj8PqIWZA1mccbPdQ0...on=0.129.2]

If anyone can help guide me here, that would be awesome! Thanks.