Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed to add a black outline on text
Hello everyone. I'm having some trouble adding a black outline to text on gimp. I followed the usual tutorials using grow but it doesn't work. 
Am I supposed to do the grow process on a transparent background, save it as a PNG and then paste it on the picture for it to properly work?
This is what I got when the grow method was done
[Image: pFJQlej.jpg]

As you can see at the second panel, the outline only applies to the first word. No idea why, thought some of you might be able to help me out.
This is the tutorial I followed https://itsfoss.com/gimp-text-outline/
This method is what comes up in many tutorials online

uihj
Are you really using Gimp 2.8 ? At a basic level it does not really matter, but Gimp 2.10 has some improved tools that can be used.

Quote:As you can see at the second panel, the outline only applies to the first word.

Is all the text in a single text layer?

Edit: This using Gimp 2.8 (2.10 much the same)
That tutorial you referenced goes all round the houses. Try
Make your transparent canvas
Enter the text, suitable size, suitable colour.
Create a path from the text. With text active Layer -> Path from Text
Into the transparent layer, set the FG colour and stroke the path. Edit -> Stroke Path
Half the outline is hidden by the text layer, so take that into account. If you want a 6 pix outline make the width 12 pix
Merge the layers and either copy and paste or drag-n-drop into the background image.

I can just get that into a 1 minute animation https://i.imgur.com/dpWOg1X.mp4
Even in the first world the outline only exist against the green background. Ooutside of the text layers, if the whole image a single flat image or is it made of individual layers? If so you outline layer could be partially masked off.
Filters > Light and Shadow > Drop Shadow...

X, Y and blur at 0, play with the yellow arrows (and blur if you like it)

(08-01-2021, 05:51 PM)PixLab Wrote: Filters > Light and Shadow > Drop Shadow...

X, Y and blur at 0, play with the yellow arrows (and blur if you like it)

Still waiting for OP to confirm Gimp version - says it is 2.8 Wink
I'm using GIMP 2.10

(08-01-2021, 09:31 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Are you really using Gimp 2.8 ? At a basic level it does not really matter, but Gimp 2.10 has some improved tools that can be used.

Quote:As you can see at the second panel, the outline only applies to the first word.

Is all the text in a single text layer?

Edit: This using Gimp 2.8 (2.10 much the same)
That tutorial you referenced goes all round the houses. Try
Make your transparent canvas
Enter the text, suitable size, suitable colour.
Create a path from the text. With text active Layer -> Path from Text
Into the transparent layer, set the FG colour and stroke the path. Edit -> Stroke Path
Half the outline is hidden by the text layer, so take that into account. If you want a 6 pix outline make the width 12 pix
Merge the layers and either copy and paste or drag-n-drop into the background image.

I can just get that into a 1 minute animation https://i.imgur.com/dpWOg1X.mp4

Thank you so much, that's what I needed! Here is the picture I made with your help Smile
[Image: MjNFQTd.jpg]

Also thanks to everyone who tried to help
The spikes on the X in "text" are due to a high "miter limit" (possibly >10) use something around 3.

Also, see my ofn-outline-layer script.
(08-02-2021, 08:08 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The spikes on the X in "text" are due to a high "miter limit" (possibly >10) use something around 3.

Also, see my ofn-outline-layer script.

Many thanks