Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help - trying to create new palette
I'm trying to create a new palette, but keep getting this error message:

Failed to save data:

You have a writable data folder configured (/Users/debrawilcox/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/palettes), but this folder does not exist. Please create the folder or fix your configuration in the Preferences dialog's 'Folders' section.

I called AppleCare, but they said it was a GIMP issue. I tried re-installing GIMP, but am still getting the error. Does anyone know what I should do to correct this?

Thank you
Quote: I'm trying to create a new palette, but keep getting this error message:
Failed to save data:
You have a writable data folder configured (/Users/debrawilcox/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/palettes), but this folder does not exist. Please create the folder or fix your configuration in the Preferences dialog's 'Folders' section.
I called AppleCare, but they said it was a GIMP issue. I tried re-installing GIMP, but am still getting the error. Does anyone know what I should do to correct this?
Thank you

In finder open /Users/debrawilcox/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/
then create a new folder or directory (I don't recall the Apple naming) and name that new folder "palettes" (all in minuscule aka lower case as in the error link)
re-start GIMP

Even if it's a GIMP problem (which seems to be), IMHO Apple's care was not nice, they could have told you this very simple fix...
(10-13-2021, 07:03 AM)PixLab Wrote:
Failed to save data:
Thank you

then create a new folder or directory (I don't recall the Apple naming) and name that new folder "palettes" (all in minuscule aka lower case as in the error link)
re-start GIMP

Even if it's a GIMP problem (which seems to be), IMHO Apple's care was not nice, they could have told you this very simple fix...

Thank you for your reply. I found the Users/debrawilcox before, but there's no Library folder and it doesn't let me add folder. When I spoke to Apple support, they said that GIMP should have created the Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/    That's why I re-installed, thinking that maybe it got deleted by accident.  Any other thoughts?  Thank you.
(10-13-2021, 03:14 PM)DebraW Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 07:03 AM)PixLab Wrote:
Failed to save data:
Thank you

re-start GIMP

Thank you for your reply. I found the Users/debrawilcox before, but there's no Library folder and it doesn't let me add folder. When I spoke to Apple support, they said that GIMP should have created the Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/    That's why I re-installed, thinking that maybe it got deleted by accident.  Any other thoughts?  Thank you.

Sorry i don't recall Mac as it something that 6 years now I'm not anymore on Mac (I left mac at Yosemite, if I recall well) so you might need to open the folder/directory "2.10" as administrator... right click > Open as administrator > then create that folder.
But... yes already at this time Library was written as "~Library" or "~/Library" (note the tilde ~ ) which should be similar as any *nix system but Mac did something to it and "Library" (I don't even recall if with "Lion" the different behavior with that ~ was already there, but I recall that in snow leopard it was a normal behavior(if I can say that))

Or try go to you "Application" folder and on the "GIMP app" do a right click and then (I don't recall, sorry about that) "open as a folder" or alike wording and then search inside

@rich2005 might be able to help you for the path or wording (or any right click menu), as he might have a macOS virtualbox or similar (he surely have Wink )

You can also open "terminal" and go inside your folder tree, "cd foldername" to enter a folder, "ls" to list what inside a folder, thus seeing your next "cd foldername" then once you're inside the "2.10" directory/folder write in terminal "mkdir palettes" (all those command without quotes)
mkdir palettes > means "MaKe DIRectory" > named "palettes"
cd directoryname > means Change Directory to go to "directoryname"
ls > means LiSt (what's inside the directory you are in)

Sorry to get on that way, but I don't recall Mac, BUT all terminal command I gave are good to use on mac Wink as it's very-same as Linux and all unix alike > they will work just fine

In the end you just need to create that directory/folder named "palettes" as GIMP is searching for it, that's all, and I'm kind of frustrated that for a so simple fix "wording" and a "~" interfere with it Wink

find application support > Library https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10BiE9t7RY or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLGctNSzYRs

@rich2005 we need you for a user friendly inter-action Wink
I know the problem. I had Gimp 2.8 in this old OSX virtual machine and later updated to Gimp 2.10. For some reason there were files and folders missing. I remember adding a plug-ins folder. Should not happen but it did. 

Providing everything else is working. 
Open Gimp and look in the Gimp 2.10 menu then Preferences.
Bottom of Preferences dialogue is a folders section. Expand that, go to the palettes section and look at the top entry. That is where your palettes go. Remember that location.

In Finder go and find that location, GIMP/2.10
In that 2.10 section make a new folder File menu  > New Folder and name it palettes.

Then Open Gimp again an see if it works Wink 

This is how it goes in the old VM  https://youtu.be/I5l8hkemKgw

(10-13-2021, 04:18 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 03:14 PM)DebraW Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 07:03 AM)PixLab Wrote: In finder open /Users/debrawilcox/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/
re-start GIMP

Sorry i don't recall Mac as it something that 6 years now I'm not anymore on Mac (I left mac at Yosemite, if I recall well) so you might need to open the folder/directory "2.10" as administrator... right click > Open as administrator > then create that folder.
But... yes already at this time Library was written as "~Library" or "~/Library" (note the tilde ~ ) which should be similar as any *nix system but Mac did something to it and "Library" (I don't even recall if with "Lion" the different behavior with that ~ was already there, but I recall that in snow leopard it was a normal behavior(if I can say that))

Or try go to you "Application" folder and on the "GIMP app" do a right click and then (I don't recall, sorry about that) "open as a folder" or alike wording and then search inside

@rich2005 might be able to help you for the path or wording (or any right click menu), as he might have a macOS virtualbox or similar (he surely have Wink )

You can also open "terminal" and go inside your folder tree, "cd foldername" to enter a folder, "ls" to list what inside a folder, thus seeing your next "cd foldername" then once you're inside the "2.10" directory/folder write in terminal "mkdir palettes" (all those command without quotes)
mkdir palettes > means "MaKe DIRectory" > named "palettes"
cd directoryname > means Change Directory to go to "directoryname"
ls > means LiSt (what's inside the directory you are in)

Sorry to get on that way, but I don't recall Mac, BUT all terminal command I gave are good to use on mac Wink as it's very-same as Linux and all unix alike > they will work just fine

In the end you just need to create that directory/folder named "palettes" as GIMP is searching for it, that's all, and I'm kind of frustrated that for a so simple fix "wording" and a "~" interfere with it Wink

find application support > Library  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10BiE9t7RY or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLGctNSzYRs

@rich2005 we need you for a user friendly inter-action Wink

Thank you for your help. I went to the Gimp preferences folder and saw the palettes thingee I needed, but when I went to the users/debrawilcox there wasn't a "Library" in there and it won't let me add it. Could you assist me further? Please. Thank you.

(10-13-2021, 06:06 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I know the problem. I had Gimp 2.8 in this old OSX virtual machine and later updated to Gimp 2.10. For some reason there were files and folders missing. I remember adding a plug-ins folder. Should not happen but it did. 

Providing everything else is working. 
Open Gimp and look in the Gimp 2.10 menu then Preferences.
Bottom of Preferences dialogue is a folders section. Expand that, go to the palettes section and look at the top entry. That is where your palettes go. Remember that location.

In Finder go and find that location, GIMP/2.10
In that 2.10 section make a new folder File menu  > New Folder and name it palettes.

Then Open Gimp again an see if it works Wink 

This is how it goes in the old VM  https://youtu.be/I5l8hkemKgw

There might be an issue with my name. On the Gimp preferences it has my full name. Under the Finder it just has my first name. Could that be causing a problem?