Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with certain type of image noise.
I run into images like this over and over and just curious if I'm overlooking a better solution to repairing them. I'm only dealing with anime images, so a heavy handed approach with filters can sometimes work without completely ruining the image, but I was hopping there might be a better combination of filters or techniques.

These images do not have the distinct moire dots that are able to be descreened with some measure of success. My guess is the original sources were scaled down before descreening and this was the result? In any case, has anyone else run into images like this, and how did you deal with it?

This is my quick and dirty heavy-handed approach. I'm not sure that any approach would be able to preserve the finer details, but keeping that to a minimum while smoothing out the hard specks is certainly the dream.

G'MIC:
smooth [diffusion]
smooth [bilateral]
smooth[guided]
sharpen [inverse diffusion]

These images are usually from very old anime, and there just aren't better sources out there. I'm doing my best to make some of these images somewhat presentable for media centers, as new artwork will never become available again. (and I certainly do not have the talent to draw something that could pass for the original) 

Any input is most welcome!
(03-02-2020, 09:54 PM)akovia Wrote: This is my quick and dirty heavy-handed approach. I'm not sure that any approach would be able to preserve the finer details, but keeping that to a minimum while smoothing out the hard specks is certainly the dream.

G'MIC:
smooth [diffusion]
smooth [bilateral]
smooth[guided]

You made magic with that image! 

I repeated your process exactly, creating layer 02.
Then, again using the original layer - Duplicate original layer and place this copy on top (Layer 03).

In this layer 03, apply:
• G'MIC - Repair - Recursive Median [Median Radius 3 / Repeats 3]
• Sharpen [inverse diffusion]
• Change the layer mode to Soft Light.

Layer 03, with soft light mode, gives a little more color and detail to the image in layer 02.

You could be interested in this thread about your issue

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-to...ht=denzjos
(03-03-2020, 01:19 AM)Krikor Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 09:54 PM)akovia Wrote: This is my quick and dirty heavy-handed approach. I'm not sure that any approach would be able to preserve the finer details, but keeping that to a minimum while smoothing out the hard specks is certainly the dream.

G'MIC:
smooth [diffusion]
smooth [bilateral]
smooth[guided]

You made magic with that image! 

I repeated your process exactly, creating layer 02.
Then, again using the original layer - Duplicate original layer and place this copy on top (Layer 03).

In this layer 03, apply:
• G'MIC - Repair - Recursive Median [Median Radius 3 / Repeats 3]
• Sharpen [inverse diffusion]
• Change the layer mode to Soft Light.

Layer 03, with soft light mode, gives a little more color and detail to the image in layer 02.

Sorry for the late response. Seems I'm not getting my notifications any longer so didn't think I had any responses.

I like that your image has some finer details, but at the expense of the larger/thicker lines being a bit more jagged. I guess that really is the trade-off to deal with and might not be a way to cheat around it. I'm going to try to work with this a bit and see where it takes me.

Thanks!

(03-03-2020, 09:39 AM)denzjos Wrote: You could be interested in this thread about your issue

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-to...ht=denzjos

Yeah, I remember that thread. I replied a couple times.

Thanks!