Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hotkey issue
So I asked about this a few years ago, and as I had to reinstall GIMP, I'm running into the issue with creating custom hotkeys.

What I want to do is assign 'P' as the path tool, but no matter what I do, GIMP still has 'B' as its hotkey. I've gone to preferences and tried defining them there, and even keyboard shortcuts, but nothing works. It still has 'B' as the shortcut.

I'll attach an image showing this. But you can see I have it assigned as 'P', but it's not applying whatever key I insert.

Any help would be awesome.

Edit: Just to add; I'm using GIMP 2.8.22

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-02-2022, 04:30 AM)Amy Lu Wrote: So I asked about this a few years ago, and as I had to reinstall GIMP, I'm running into the issue with creating custom hotkeys.

What I want to do is assign 'P' as the path tool, but no matter what I do, GIMP still has 'B' as its hotkey. I've gone to preferences and tried defining them there, and even keyboard shortcuts, but nothing works. It still has 'B' as the shortcut.

I'll attach an image showing this. But you can see I have it assigned as 'P', but it's not applying whatever key I insert.

I've just tried in 2.10.32 and successfully changed the hot key for the path tool to # (P is assigned to paint brush). Do you have a good reason for staying with V2.8?
(11-02-2022, 04:30 AM)Amy Lu Wrote: So I asked about this a few years ago, and as I had to reinstall GIMP, I'm running into the issue with creating custom hotkeys.

Try:
Open "Configure Keyboard Shortcuts"
Assign "#" to Paintbrush temporarily, save it and close "Configure Keyboard Shortcuts"
Assign "p" to Paths, save it and close "Configure Keyboard Shortcuts"
Assign "b" to Paintbrush, save it and close "Configure Keyboard Shortcuts"
@Amy Lu It works here, Win 7 (VM) Gimp 2.8  as:

Re-assigned after clicking the Reassign Shortcut button.

If you want to do a bit of checking, and maybe manual editing, the setting is held in C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8  in the file menurc.

Open in notepad, search for tools-vector and check the value. If "b" change to "p" Start Gimp and see what you have.
(11-02-2022, 04:30 AM)Amy Lu Wrote: So I asked about this a few years ago, and as I had to reinstall GIMP, I'm running into the issue with creating custom hotkeys.

You are knocking on the wrong door. What you are setting is the Path tool menu entry on the right-click menu in the Paths list. What you want tp set is the general tools shortcut which is elsewhere (tools-vector at the bottom of the Tools tree):

Oh my god you're totally right, Ofnuts Tongue ah I'm such a fool. Yeah I was assigning the wrong one. It's all working now. If only I scrolled further down. Thanks to everyone else for assisting, too.

Also just to answer programmer_ceds: I kinda prefer 2.8. It's how I always remembered GIMP and where everything is, plus the fog filter I enjoy using for subtle weathering effects for my art. I tried 2.10 and it doesn't seem to have it anymore.
(11-02-2022, 11:15 PM)Amy Lu Wrote: Also just to answer programmer_ceds: I kinda prefer 2.8. It's how I always remembered GIMP and where everything is, plus the fog filter I enjoy using for subtle weathering effects for my art. I tried 2.10 and it doesn't seem to have it anymore.

Still there but moved to Filters > Decor. Some that seem to have totally disappeared are still reachable (type / and a search bar appears):

Yes, sometimes you have to adjust to 2.10, but IMHO this is well worth the effort: the filters that act directly on the canvas instead of a tiny preview window, the ability to edit your gradient when you apply it, the new transform tools, the canvas rotation, the symmetry painting,   the high precision mode...
You're right it does! I decided to give 2.10 a shot and I can already see it's much more efficient. The warp tool is now usable directly on the image now? That's a big plus for me, too. I also found out paths can be scaled and transformed correctly now without it treating paths as if they're the entire image.

Got to say if I had known all of this I would have tried it much sooner. Thank you for convincing me Tongue

Made in 2.10

Glad you like it... And if you have any problems with it, you know where to ask.