Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How? From a new user.
Photo 
Greetings to all. As mentioned new and just downloaded the program. 

I opened some files and whenever I export to jpg there are squares covering all the images, narrow lines. Can't figure out a color because of my vision. I've poked around, turned off grids and guides without any effect. What don't I know? 

Hope they show on the attached image. 

Thanks very much. Happy Trails.

Attached Files Image(s)

I cannot see any squares or lines here but I am using linux not Windows. You have poor vision ? What application are you using to view your jpegs.

The image posted does not look like it comes from Gimp. Using the ImageMagick identify utility I see a resolution (ppi) of 1x1 and I have never seen that before. Even if I set the ppi to 1x1 in Gimp I do not get that entry. I would expect Gimp to open that image "355-blah-de-blah-51_n.jpg" and impose a default ppi typically 72 or 96 prior to Exporting. In any case you can set a ppi using Image -> Print Size

It might be a hardware issue. Can you give some computer specs + which version of Gimp (find it in Help -> About). The more information the better.
Thank you.

I saw that the image I posted here does not have the lines. I don't know why. The image was opened and manipulated with gimp and exported jpg and then I got squares.

The gimp I have is what is available for download today. I opened this and others with Ifran -> squares.  Open with paint or other viewer -> no lines.  Don't know why. 

Thanks again.
(07-31-2023, 05:18 PM)newf522 Wrote: I opened this and others with Ifran -> squares.  Open with paint or other viewer -> no lines.  Don't know why. 

Thanks again.

You meant IrfanView...?! If so and only with IrfanView you got squares, thus it's the IrfanView problem Wink
Try with XnViewMP, roughly it's the same license than IrfanView > free for non commercial use
Patrice
I use XnViewMP for file conversions.  I use it to convert webp to jpg.  You have the option to delete the original jpg.  I use the batch option even if converting only one file.
@newf522

I have got round to a Windows 10 / Gimp 2.10.34 / and IrfanView and still no squares or lines with an exported jpeg viewed with IrfanView. One caveat, it is a Win 10 virtual machine so the emulated hardware is basic.

Since other viewers are ok, your problem might be IrfanView + your Windows setup. Since that image you posted was a little strange, 1x1 resolution, next time you export a jpeg try turning all the options off. Especially the top one - Use quality settings from original image and further down Save Thumbnail A quality value of 90 to 95 is more than adequate. Might / Might-not make a difference.

Attached Files Image(s)

Weird that you got it with Irfanview. I use it as my viewer instead of the default windows one and I never have any 'extra' marks on gimp pics

Smile