Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Create A Halftone Effect On Part of An Image or Color?
Is there a way to create a partial halftone effect on an image( almost like a halftone gradient ) or color?

I have seen several designs where there is halftone effect in certain areas of an image however not the entire image and was curious if there is a way to create this design effect with GIMP?

Thank You.

Attached Files Image(s)

Duplicate your image, on the top layer make your half tone Filters ➤ Distorts ➤ Newsprint... chose the type of haftone (color model/B&W/ RGB and so, type of patterns > circle/line etc...)
[Image: zvLkH8f.png]

then add a mask on it with a gradient black and white, or use a brush for a particular location
and you can even play with the blending mode of the top layer

[Image: v60ljCO.png]
Strictly half-toning is an image composed of regularly spaced dots, all one colour where the size of the dot gives an impression of tone. (to get a two colour gradient change the color of the dots) Large dots darker / small dots lighter. 
This is shown on the left side. What I think you are looking for is a halftone effect, the right side, a pattern over a coloured image, still different size dots but with a varying background.

This is using the gimp_gmic plugin, the halftone filter and I got there by the dubious route. Duplicate layer - desaturate layer - apply gmic half tone - layer mode hard light.

Your image is a bit on the small side.
Some more thoughts on superimposing a half-tone pattern.  Use gmic like above on selections (or erase the bits not required) however...

The original image below is a piece of graphic art. Possibly created originally using a vector program such as CorelDraw.
To overlay a half tone pattern, try the Krita, that uses enhanced MyPaint brushes and one of them is a halftone pattern.

You can get a sort of equivalence in Gimp by making a half-tone pattern and painting using the Clone tool (1) . Bottom of the Clone tool dialogue is an option to set the source to 'Image'  or 'Pattern' use pattern (2). Then paint using the clone tool.  The big difference between Krita and Gimp is the degree of control over the pattern size there is none in Gimp. You need an old script to size a pattern or a set of various sized patterns.

Gimp or Krita (or CorelDraw..) a graphics tablet is best to enable pressure-opacity. (3)
(08-23-2022, 06:24 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Strictly half-toning is an image composed of regularly spaced dots, all one colour where the size of the dot gives an impression of tone. (to get a two colour gradient change the color of the dots) Large dots darker / small dots lighter. 
This is shown on the left side. What I think you are looking for is a halftone effect, the right side, a pattern over a coloured image, still different size dots but with a varying background.

This is using the gimp_gmic plugin, the halftone filter and I got there by the dubious route. Duplicate layer - desaturate layer - apply gmic half tone -  layer mode hard light.

Your image is a bit on the small side.

How do I find the  gimp_gmic plugin?  
(08-27-2022, 10:58 AM)zodiakteez Wrote: How do I find the  gimp_gmic plugin?  

https://gmic.eu/download.html