Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Do Path Thing?
creating a path which is actually following a long convoluted trail through an image of a large stretch of bushland.

Instructions don't mention how to stop doing it.  Just pick another tool?

They don't mention how to keep it - just happens automatically when I save the image?

Doesn't make clear to me if I must convert to a selection. ?

Not sure if I have to 'stroke' it ?

Can I come back to it and edit it next time - continue it as one path or does it get 'frozen' once 'stroked' etc ?

p.s.
And if I can step back to a most primitive basic question:

I always immediately make a copy layer in the belief that this way I'm ensuring I'll no way damage my original image.
Is this a bit daft?  Would I get just as much protection if I immediately simply save the image with a new name?

But anyway, having done it, created a copy layer to work on I'm always thinking I should then delete that original layer and then I'm safe, all connection with my original now broken.  Is that equally daft?

p.p.s. I suppose there's no way to get back a path that disappeared?

I couldn't find how to end the making of a path no matter where I looked. In the finish I read something that suggested double clicking on the last node would do it. So I did that. All seemed peaceful. So then I selected the move tool.
The path immediately disappeared and wouldn't come back.

That was a good half hour's work. How to use the path tool? Including 'stop using' the path tool?
creating a path which is actually following a long convoluted trail through an image of a large stretch of bushland.

Instructions don't mention how to stop doing it.  Just pick another tool?

Yes

They don't mention how to keep it - just happens automatically when I save the image?

Yes, check the Paths list (tab next to Layers/Channels)

Doesn't make clear to me if I must convert to a selection. ?

No. Especially if the path is open (ie, has two distinguishable ends)

Not sure if I have to 'stroke' it ?

Yes, if you want to see it in an image you export or print. The "Path" is just a "location", a bit like a guide or a selection, it doesn't change pixels in the image

Can I come back to it and edit it next time - continue it as one path or does it get 'frozen' once 'stroked' etc ?

You can edit the path later. Make it visible, start the Path tool, and click  on the path in the canvas, this will make it editable again.

p.s.
And if I can step back to a most primitive basic question:

I always immediately make a copy layer in the belief that this way I'm ensuring I'll no way damage my original image.
Is this a bit daft?  Would I get just as much protection if I immediately simply save the image with a new name?

The two techniques have their uses. If you just modify a layer, copying the layer in the image is a good way to protect you.

But anyway, having done it, created a copy layer to work on I'm always thinking I should then delete that original layer and then I'm safe, all connection with my original now broken.  Is that equally daft?

Depends on what that layer is... If it"s a tetx layer, it's useful to keep it (has info like font etc... that could have been lost in the edited copy).

p.p.s. I suppose there's no way to get back a path that disappeared?

I couldn't find how to end the making of a path no matter where I looked. In the finish I read something that suggested double clicking on the last node would do it. So I did that. All seemed peaceful. So then I selected the move tool.

The path immediately disappeared and wouldn't come back.

It's is likely still there. By default paths are created "not visible". Go to the pah list and click the eye icon (same place as for layers)

That was a good half hour's work. How to use the path tool? Including 'stop using' the path tool?

You just move to another tool. Path is still there, see above.
Oh right. Thanks a lot. A much lot. It's getting very frustrating here.

So you're half right. There's something there but it isn't the whole path and it's not where it should be.

I thought I was creating a path on a layer, like tracing the path on the image. Apparently not. It doesn't move like a layer.

It seems to be something quite different.

I can't marry the two up now. The image and the path.

I better not start again until I know what I'm doing.

Perhaps I should be doing something entirely different given what I want. Perhaps I should be painting a squiggly line on a layer? Can that be done click by click the way these paths are made?
The path is really the way to go... Redo one and show a screen shot (that also includes the Paths list)