Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can the lettering be clearer?
Hi,
I created a logo and uploaded to a web page, as you can see by the attached image "HIRED", the lettering/text doesn't look clear. It is Arial 11 on a transparent background. Gimp 2.8
The link to the home page "Home" is attached. it is not part of the logo, but looks much clearer on the web page.
Is there something I can do to help make the logo text sharper/clearer?
Any help will be appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are differences when it comes to fonts.
Some were especially made for the web, and some for printing.

Same with readability. Serif fonts for example are said to be easier to read in print form.

And then there is font weight. A very thin font is harder to read than a ultrabold which was designed especially for headlines.
There is a bit more here with some extra info/screenshots http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-use...ot-clearer

It is all very tiny. Your 'HIRED' text is actually only 8 pix high.

This shows some options, and the only one to give hard outline, is text with antialiasing turned off.

I do not think that is the problem. Most likely some conversion when applied to a page web. You are using png which is correct ... back to the question of text size.
Thanks for your replies. 
I'm trying to make the text, in the layer in question, clearer, but when I pull up the .xcf and select the text layer, the horizontal dialog box pops up, and I don't see how to apply anti-alias with this box. But, I also pulled up the "Tools Options" (see attached image), and I see where to uncheck anti-alias, but I don't see how that effects the selected layer, because it seems the horizontal dialog box dominates here.
Also, it was mentioned about dpi, how/where can I improve dpi with gimp?
Lastly, upon exporting the image, there seems to several choices (see attached image) what would be best?
I look forward to your reply 
Much thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-16-2017, 10:19 PM)chrisj Wrote: [But, I also pulled up the "Tools Options"
The Tool Options should be visible all the time (and docked). It get used all the time.

Quote:and I see where to uncheck anti-alias, but I don't see how that effects the selected layer
Select the Text Layer. Select the Text Tool. Click on the text. Now check/uncheck the anti-alias box.
Better, set the anti-alias option before typing your text.

Quote:it was mentioned about dpi
A bitmap image only has pixels. The dpi only comes into play when printing (for example) on paper. Then dpi depends on the image size in pixels and the print size in inches.
For the web, setting dpi has no effect.
Lastly, upon exporting the image, there seems to several choices (see attached image) what would be best for the web?

Thanks so much
Lastly, upon exporting the image, there seems to several choices (see attached image) what would be best?