Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Drop All Tools.. ?
How To Finish With a Tool?
I can't 'finish' with the bucket fill tool. Move onto the brush tool and draw with it.

I'm a very beginner.

This is what i did:

Open a picture.
Made another layer
Using that second layer:
Select a rectangle. (to redact some writing)
fill it with black.
Select the brush tool.
Try to draw a line ( to redact a couple of words)

It won't draw. the tool circle is there moving like a cursor but nothing draws.

And I'm always puzzled as to what is the 'default' tool. I'd expect a 'pointer' or arrow but there isn't one is there?

Obviously got something very basic wrong......

I feel it has something to do with the tool.. I don't know how to 'drop' all my tools and just be me... ?
(02-18-2018, 04:32 AM)abrogard Wrote: It won't draw. the tool circle is there moving like a cursor but nothing draws.

It is something simple. For example, drawing with black on a black backgound - nothing shows. Or trying to draw outside of a selection. Or trying to draw outside of a layer boundary. If you can't get it right post a screenshot and hopefully someone will see what the problem is.

In Gimp, there is always an active tool. No neutral tool like a pointer. The closest to a neutral tool is the Measure tool as it does not alter the image.
The tools only apply to/work in the "selection". So if you create a selection with the rectangle tool, bucket-fill it and then try to use the brush, the brush will only work in the rectangle you selected. And if you didn't change the colors in between, it will paint over an identical color so you won't see anything. So, to use the brush elsewhere, remove the selection with Select>None or CtrlShiftA.
(02-18-2018, 09:19 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The tools only apply to/work in the "selection". So if you create a selection with the rectangle tool, bucket-fill it and then try to use the brush, the brush will only work in the rectangle you selected. And if you didn't change the colors in between, it will paint over an identical color so you won't see anything. So, to use the brush elsewhere, remove the selection with Select>None or CtrlShiftA.

Yes, thanks for that.  Precisely what I was doing wrong.   

Smile