Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Remove the Lines and Boxes On A Form?
(11-18-2018, 02:05 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Pretty cool script, btw. It boggles my mind how a path is capable of telling the rotate tool what to do.

The path is just a way to give 4 pair of coordinates (a trick used and abused in ofn-path-to-shape).
I said "to heck with it," and put GIMP 2.10.8 on my laptop.  I had access to the high res scans of the original forms (blank and completed), so I went at it.

It turns out that rich2005's technique was simple and easy to do, and I didn't need the scan of the blank form.  I got the color exchange set up, messed around with the "from" color in the 2D color selector while watching the preview of the image, and I wound up with essentially all of the background gone.  I'm going to have a little clean up to do, but I don't see any background in the fingerprint graphics, even though the original had plenty of "print" over lines.

As I noted, there isn't much that is intuitive with the (many, many, many) tools in GIMP.  I'm hardly a tech dunce, and I'm used to figuring things out for myself, but I'm very glad for the help all of you have provided.

My state has enacted new rules for my profession's licensure, including fingerprints submitted with license renewals.  And since I have more than one employer (most of them are part time, fill in work, but still), I also have their new rules for background checks to comply with.  Now I have a file with the original prints without the background.  This allows me to use my printer to create more "original" documents by simply using blank forms - though I'll probably make the text entries manually on the forms as needed.  I'm saving $20 per form, along with the time required to find a fingerprinting office and schedule an appointment.  Definitely worth the effort to extract my fingerprint data from the originals I paid to have done.

Edit to add... Here's an example of how well it worked out.  First with the background:
[Image: WithOverlap.png]

...and without:
[Image: NoOverlap.png]