Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Smudge And Not Lose The Color?
I am trying to correct a photo where there was too much bright white reflecting off spectacles.

So I've been smudging the dark frames over into the white area.

Works quite well but I notice that over time I lose the color.  That's the way smudging works, I guess.  It takes the first pixels and mixes them with the next I think, doesn't it,  so they get 'diluted'.

Any simple way I can stop or slow down this dilution and persist with a color for a while?[Image: T0BNc5U][Image: T0BNc5U]

You can see here how far I've got...   Bit messy but it only has to be a tiny visa pic..

I'm not doing well trying to insert the pic... perhaps I'll insert a link...

https://imgur.com/T0BNc5U
To remove reflections, you want mostly to darken the pixels and increase their saturation. This is done by adding layer in the adequate mode and painting on them.
adding layer in adequate mode ? What's that? Just add a layer?

Then what? Paint with what? Use color picker to select the specs frame color, is that it? And paint with a brush?

I'll try it...
For that sort of image I would use the clone tool. As Ofnuts pointed out there are other ways. The Gimp dodge/burn tool does the lighten/darken. All depends on the image.

The gimp docs https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-clone.html

This demo using the clone tool 3 minutes might give some clues.

direct link https://youtu.be/VKh8v3HISV8
That's very lovely, thanks. I'll give that technique a go, looks like the way to do it.

Some glitches with my computer I think. I edited my previous post twice and it looks like neither has shown up here.

On the second edit I reported that my colour picker was failing to change the foreground colour so effectively didn't work.

Maybe that was just part of my computer playing up...

Thanks again.. I'll away and try....

Smile
Quote:adding layer in adequate mode ? What's that? Just add a layer?

Never rely on any single procedure. Once you get some experience, you will find what works best for your images.

This making darker (burn)

Add a white layer (1) Set the mode as Burn (2) Choose a suitable brush (3) Set the brush opacity (4)..and...
Paint on the canvas in black (or grey). Advantage it is non-destructive. Too much and paint out in white.
Disadvantage, can make the subject look like they had a sleepless night Wink
(07-24-2018, 07:18 AM)abrogard Wrote: adding layer in adequate mode ?  What's that?  Just add a layer?

Then what?  Paint with what?  Use color picker to select the specs frame color, is that it?  And paint with a brush?

I'll try it...

If you set a layer to Value mode, the resulting image is everything below it darkened/lightnened to assume the "value" you have set for the layer. 

Paint is done with pencil/brush/ink/airbrush... it is just a matter of assigning values to pixels.