Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I bolden my images of the Moon
Images like the hundreds of craters on the moon or a cliff face with thousands of rocks with shadows sometimes look too smooth.
The Artist Filter Cartoon enhances darker areas that are distinctly darker than their neighbours and works but was not made to do this.
Is there another filter or method to darken multiple shadows?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tried the "Freaky Details" technique?

The effect isn't too good on the edges, so I added a mask on the group to make the effect apply only on the inside.
Try the gimp gmic plugin http://www.gmic.eu, this using the color grading filter. Experiment with the settings.

Thanks for the replies I will give both ideas a try.
Btw, what kind of gear did you use? Looks too big & sharp for a regular/affordable photography lens
I am sure you tried shadows in colors Shadows--Highlights.  Sometimes I like the results and sometimes I don't like the cut off curve, it stops a bit early.

[attachment=6915]

edit at least I tried
(10-25-2021, 02:01 PM)DistantLight Wrote: Is there another filter or method to darken multiple shadows?

Oh, the moon, I love it Wink
what I do to darken the darker part? I just duplicate, and put the above layer in Overlay mode, Soft light, hard light and grain merge works well as well depending your photo/lights and colors (if color), then play with the opacity slider to fit your taste, a mask might be needed depending how the clearer/whiter part are affected (you can use a Channel as a mask (invert), it's way simpler, then just add contrast to the mask if needed Wink )

Also like Ofnuts, I'm very curious about your lens/material, your moon is bigger than mine on a 7D at 600mm, or maybe you got a lot of pixels and you cropped?
(10-26-2021, 12:00 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Btw, what kind of gear did you use? Looks too big & sharp for a regular/affordable photography lens

https://lovethenightsky.com/celestron-om...02-review/

A Celestron Omni XLT 102. 1000mm Focal Length with a Canon 600D attached to it. Its a Mid Range scope best for planets, Moon and Stars. Its not too complicated to use unlike some of the more expensive telescopes. It has a Canon attached so you dont need to figure out the F number because its 0 and the ISO is always ISO100 for the Moon so you just experiment with shutter speed. Iv had it nearly 2 years now.

The freaky details technique and G'MIC works well to bring out those craters.
Before that everybody uses Registax 6 to sharpen the picture with its Wavelets tool.
(10-26-2021, 03:19 PM)DistantLight Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 12:00 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Btw, what kind of gear did you use? Looks too big & sharp for a regular/affordable photography lens

https://lovethenightsky.com/celestron-om...02-review/

A Celestron Omni XLT 102. 1000mm Focal Length with a Canon 600D attached to it. Its a Mid Range scope best for planets, Moon and Stars. Its not too complicated to use unlike some of the more expensive telescopes. It has a Canon attached so you dont need to figure out the F number because its 0 and the ISO is always ISO100 for the Moon so you just experiment with shutter speed. Iv had it nearly 2 years now.

The freaky details technique and G'MIC works well to bring out those craters.
Before that everybody uses Registax 6 to sharpen the picture with its Wavelets tool.

Thanks for the info. In Gimp you can also use wavelets: Filters > Generics > Wavelet decompose and then duplicate/triplicate the top layer(s) of the decomposition. Effect can be refined by adjusting the opacity of the added layer(s).