Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening photos
I'm using Gimp 2.10.30 on a Windows 10 system and having trouble opening images.  They open at seemingly random scales, sometimes tiny on screen and sometimes massively zoomed in.  I can immediately resize them to fill the screen with ctrl+shift+j but still it's a bit annoying and a problem I never had with any previous Gimp version.

Thanks in advance if anyone has a solution.
I do not think anything changed between Gimp versions.

You can try changing settings in Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Image Windows where Initial zoom ratio can be either Show entire image or 1:1 see: Gimp docs https://tinyurl.com/5n84x4ym for what use that is Wink

AFAIK the default is Show entire image If smaller than the window you get 100% size. Larger than window then less than 100%

With 1:1 it will always be 100% No scaling up for a small image, and no scaling down for a large image.

Quote: They open at seemingly random scales, sometimes tiny on screen and sometimes massively zoomed in.

Possibility you have 1:1 enabled.
edit: Ah..just a thought. Do you by any chance have View -> Dot-fot-Dot toggled off. That will display images at print size and that depends on the print resolution. The same pixel size image at 72ppi displays larger than at 300 ppi.

I do know the annoyance with smaller images, I have re-assigned ctrl - shift - j to a single key.
There are also the number keys for fixed size zooms.