Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I overwrite .blp files in GIMP?
Hello, I like to play this game called Speedy Eggbert.

I wanted to mod this game using GIMP, but the files are all in .blp format instead of .png. GIMP allows me to open the files and edit them, but it doesn't let me overwrite them. I have another program called XNView which allows me to overwrite the files. but I much prefer using GIMP than XNView as I'm familiar, know how to use all the editing tools and find it easy. And copying the files from GIMP to XNview is too time consuming.

So if XNView can overwite .blp files, then why can't GIMP do it? And is there an extension that can allow me to do this?
(06-02-2023, 07:33 PM)jpcmg5t Wrote: GIMP allows me to open the files and edit them,

I don't see BLP in the recognized extensions. Are you forcing a file type (BLP seems to be a TGA derivative)?
(06-02-2023, 10:19 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(06-02-2023, 07:33 PM)jpcmg5t Wrote: GIMP allows me to open the files and edit them,

I don't see BLP in the recognized extensions. Are you forcing a file type (BLP seems to be a TGA derivative)?

I don't know I just wanted to open the BLP file, edit it and overwrite it? As if it were a PNG file. XNView allows me to do this but GIMP doesn't. Surely there must be a way?

(06-02-2023, 10:19 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

It could be TGA derivative as it sees a specific blue colour as invisible in game
I see your post about no replies Wink

As Ofnuts posted Does anyone really have an answer ? No answers therefore no replies.

I don't play these game programs so BLP files are a mystery to me. However a search did come up with a gimp blp plugin, but only one that loads it does not save. Even worse for you is it is the code for compiling the plugin. I use linux so while I can (after a bit of a struggle) get it working. Up to you to compile it for Windows and then I had another struggle to find some sample blp files.

this is the code: https://web.archive.org/web/201703272346...porter.41/ It says script-fu - do not be fooled, it is code.

A better bet for you is a Windows command line utility that converts between blp and png and back again.

see: https://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i...erter.html