Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I add a new dock? (Problem solved.)
Hello Gimp-forum.net! Smile  This is my first post. I'm brand new to Gimp. I'm transitioning to Gimp from Photoshop for obvious reasons. I'm using Gimp version 2.10.10.  

How do I add a new dock?

Presently there is a dock on the left-hand side under the toolbox. There are also two additional docks on the right-hand side. But what if I wanted, say, two docks on the left-hand side or three docks on the right-hand side? Is there any easy way to do this? (or even a hard way?)

I understand how to create a new tab within a dock (Windows/Dockable Dialogs), and I understand how to move/drag a tab from one dock to another dock (or to its own window), but what if I want a whole new dock?

I apologize if this is an easy thing to do. I've done my due diligence by searching this forum and by googling. But maybe my google-fu is waning. I'm not getting anywhere.
Quote:..I understand how to create a new tab within a dock (Windows/Dockable Dialogues), and I understand how to move/drag a tab from one dock to another dock (or to its own window), but what if I want a whole new dock?

Starting with a basic single window display, once you can add a tab it then becomes a process of dragging the tab to one of the 'hot-spots' at the bottom or edge of existing docks. Showing the locations marked in red.

A new dock then has the same hot-spots which accept a dragged in tab. It can be over-done Wink

Very tempting for refugees from PS to try and make Gimp look PS-ish. Usually a bad move

Edit: You probably need sometime: Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management and Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values
(05-27-2019, 08:36 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:..I understand how to create a new tab within a dock (Windows/Dockable Dialogues), and I understand how to move/drag a tab from one dock to another dock (or to its own window), but what if I want a whole new dock?

Starting with a basic single window display, once you can add a tab it then becomes a process of dragging the tab to one of the 'hot-spots' at the bottom or edge of existing docks. Showing the locations marked in red.

A new dock then has the same hot-spots which accept a dragged in tab. It can be over-done Wink

Very tempting for refugees from PS to try and make Gimp look PS-ish. Usually a bad move

Edit: You probably need sometime: Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management and Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values

Thank you @rich2005! That did the trick. Smile