Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I create a printable grid with scanned images in each sqaure?
Hello everyone! 

This is my first post, so bear with me if the formatting is a little wonky.  Big Grin

I am starting a project where I take small images and quotes and cut them into squares on an 8.5x11.00in cardstock. What I would like to do, but am not sure how to do, is to divide a layer in gimp into a grid, with boxes ~4x5 on the paper. Then, I would like to paste the scanned images I have into each of those squares, export, and print.

Using render>pattern has gotten me to a certain point, but it's not very printer friendly, the alignment seems kinda off, and I feel like I am reinventing the wheel. What would be perfect is if each square was its own instance, as in a separate layer so I can work within each box separately without grabbing other places as well; I am not sure if that's possible or over-complicated?

I am not totally new to GIMP, although I haven't used it in about 2 years.
If you want to position your boxes easily, you can use guides. Enough vertical and horizontal guides will create a grid in which in is easy to snap the boxes as individual layers.
One of the standard Gimp templates is US Letter 8.5" x 11" @ 300 ppi - suitable resolution for quality printing.
Divide into a 4 x 5 grid and each section is 637 x 660 pixels. Gimp works in pixels not inches.

One way is using the gmic plugin from http://www.gmic.eu In the arrays section 'montage'

If you make an image 637 x 660 pix and assemble new layers with your pasted in content up to the 20 layers 

Then apply gmic montage with suitable settings you get rows and columns that print on US Letter size paper. Of course you might want to make a little less than 637x660 and finally resize the canvas to give a small margin around - a matter of choice.

(01-11-2019, 05:08 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: If you want to position your boxes easily, you can use guides. Enough vertical and horizontal guides will create a grid in which in is easy to snap the boxes as individual layers.

I will check this out. Thank You Smile

(01-11-2019, 07:42 PM)rich2005 Wrote: One of the standard Gimp templates is US Letter 8.5" x 11" @ 300 ppi - suitable resolution for quality printing.
Divide into a 4 x 5 grid and each section is 637 x 660 pixels. Gimp works in pixels not inches.

One way is using the gmic plugin from http://www.gmic.eu In the arrays section 'montage'

If you make an image 637 x 660 pix and assemble new layers with your pasted in content up to the 20 layers 

Then apply gmic montage with suitable settings you get rows and columns that print on US Letter size paper. Of course you might want to make a little less than 637x660 and finally resize the canvas to give a small margin around - a matter of choice.
This is cool! I will definitely look into using this. This is exactly the type of thing I was thinking about Smile