Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I stop text hyphenation?
I just updated from GIMP 2.8 to 2.10.22.  In this version of GIMP, when it reaches the edge, it adds a hyphen (-) and then goes down to the next line.  While I am sure that is useful for some, it is ruining things for me.  I cannot find any options for text and searches for how to stop hyphenation in GIMP has not found anything?  Is there any way to turn this off?  It seems really weird for it to have been added without the ability to stop it.
Quote:.. just updated from GIMP 2.8 to 2.10.22.  In this version of GIMP, when it reaches the edge, it adds a hyphen (-) and then goes down to the next line.
I cannot reproduce that, either copy and paste text from some other application (example using LibreOffice) or typing directly into Gimp.  

Can you give more details.  
Using on canvas tool or the old text editor mode ? Is the text box dynamic or fixed ?  Which justification  mode?  Is it copy-paste or type in ? A screenshot goes a long way towards explanation of problem. Use some random text if you do not want to share your epic with the rest of the world.

Quote:.....I cannot find any options for text and searches for how to stop hyphenation in GIMP has not found anything?  Is there any way to turn this off?
As far as I know there is no provision for adding hyphenation to the Gimp text tool.
This is occurring on 2.10.22.  It is not occurring on 2.10.12 or 2.8.  

This happens with fixed, not dynamic.  Dynamic alters the textbox size.  The orientation is left to right horizontal.  Justification does not matter.  I am typing in the text.  The font does not seem to matter.

I discovered this while comparing the vertical font option to altering the textbox size to create vertical text.  As you can see from the image, it is adding (-) to the letters.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Your screenshot helped a lot. Not reproducible with my linux Gimp 2.10.22 but I see it in a Win10 (VM) / Gimp 2.10.22

It looks like Text tool Justify -> Filled is imposed even when left justify is selected. Your text is therefore a whole word and hyphenation is applied. (1) This is not usual Gimp formating.
Workarounds: (you can see these in the layers dock)
(2) Put a space after each letter so it becomes a 'word'
(3) Put a 'return' - ENTER key after each letter so each letter becomes a paragraph.

As a 50 second animation https://i.imgur.com/SXFJ6ht.mp4

You could report this as a Windows bug https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues  but since the developers use linux you might wait for a fix.

edit (1) It looks like this might have been (partially) implemented in Windows https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4578 In which case it is not a bug.

edit (2) It is there in Linux, using the flatpak version, must be a new 'feature' (My linux appimage using older libraries not affected) Hunt through preferences and nothing I can see to revert back to previous state.

Whenever I have needed vertical left justified text I always use character + ENTER in a dynamic text box, but it is a matter of preference.