Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I turn on menu that will fill my entire left pane ?
Hi,
How do I turn on menu that will fill my entire left pane ?
I keep see'ing it with lots of options, and icons - in youtube videos. 
But I am missing that. I can't find documentation on this - in Gimp 2.10.30's menu.
I'm on Windows 10.
I even tried to uninstall and reinstalled the latest version.

Best wishes for St. Patrick's day!!
(03-12-2022, 06:25 PM)ihot01 Wrote: How do I turn on menu that will fill my entire left pane ?
I keep see'ing it with lots of options, and icons - in youtube videos. 
But I am missing that. I can't find documentation on this - in Gimp 2.10.30's menu. I'm on Windows 10.

Have you changed it since you first installed Gimp "entire left hand pane" ? Are you in Single Window mode ?

First thing to try is Edit -> Preferences then under Interface -> Window Management click on Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values. OK that and restart Gimp

Is that what is required or is it something different ?

Quote:I even tried to uninstall and reinstalled the latest version.

Gimp keeps the interface settings in the Gimp User Profile, for Windows users that is usually..
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\
The User Profile is created first time Gimp is run and remains between installation keeping the Gimp settings. They are not reset by a re-installation.
(03-12-2022, 06:46 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Thanks - This worked to restore half of my left pane - 
"First thing to try is Edit -> Preferences then under Interface -> Window Management click on Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values.  OK that and restart Gimp"

I see half of the left pane with options - but I have only up to "Sissors Select" pane.  I see youtube experts showing preferences/ settings in the bottom half of their left pane.
How do I show more preferences or useful tools in the left pane?
Thanks again!! And don't forget to spring forward!!
Sorry , I still do not get it.  This a comparison of default setup. Gimp 2.10.30 with compact (tool groups) toolbox on the left, Gimp 2.10.14 (as you might see in a tutorial) on the right.

The grouped icons came in about Gimp 2.10.18 but can be 'un-grouped' from Edit > Preferences see: https://i.imgur.com/sH8dMrW.jpg As well as the group toggle, it also shows the hide/unhide icons for each tool. Toolbox icons can be hidden.

(edit: see section 1.2 in the Gimp docs https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tools.html)

If you have lots of the tool icons  missing in the toolbox, check that they are working, everything is in the Tools Menu, the top three sections. Do they work ?

If you want to get back to a default setup then delete the whole folder C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP   Start up Gimp and it will make a new default Gimp profile, with all new  folders and default settings, same as a brand-new installation

Quote:I see half of the left pane with options - but I have only up to "Sissors Select" pane.
Otherwise, post screenshot of what you have.
Rich is correct in that many of the tools are grouped now. Into groups of similar types. Most of the tutorials in YouTube were done with older versions of Gimp so do not look exactly the same.
Again you need to fix your tools in preferences how you wish them to be shown.
Also you can put your tool options dialogue below your tools. There is room for it.
Also now instead of a different area for each open dialogue you can have them in tabs - having many in one dialogue
Here I have a few tabs, You can have more or less
[attachment=7625]

Smile