Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does one make an image/layer transparent?
Please keep in mind that I am mostly ignorant when it comes to using Gimp 2.1.  I am making a cover for the book I just finished.  The main image I'm using for the front cover needs to be made slightly transparent.  Here's what I've done:  First I clicked on the image (which is, I believe, my second layer) and then used the "Opacity" menu on the right to try and adjust the image.  What I get is a checkerboard.  Totally weird, at least from this newbie's point of view.  What is happening and how do I get this to work for me.  (BTW something I read seemed to suggest that it mattered what type of file your image was saved as.  This is a JPEG.)
1.Have your base image open
2.Open the image you want to overlay on #1
3.Copy #2 then paste it "as a new layer" on top of #1
4.Set this second layer as active by clicking on it
5.Now adjust your opacity to let say 50.0

here the result

If you see a checkerboard when you make the second layer less or more transparent, I think your first layer is probably transparent. I this case you see a checkerboard on your gimp screen and this mean transparent. It does not influence your result. One of the options is to fill the transparent first layer with a color using the bucket fill tool and then save the image as jpg file or you can flatten the image (click with the right mouse button on the layer and click on flatten image on the bottom of the menu that appear.