Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How it is possible that Gimp while exporting histogram counts more pixels than there
Question 
Hello,

I'm currently learning programming in python, one of subject that i'm trying to cover now is working with image.  So i wanted to created o program that's counting how many pixel of each colour is in my image (which is 10x10 pixel gray scale). So i created the image all black with 24 white pixel and my program, all works well. It counts 24 pixel of "255" and 76 of "0.

But here comes the problem:

when i have used the Gimp [color] -> [information] -> [export histogram] to file i got the results like this

Range start,Value

0 , 76.0

1 , 0.0

2 , 0.0
[...]

253 , 0.0

254 , 24.0

255 , 24.0

it looks like, the Gimp software counted white pixel two times, so when they are summed up that makes 24 + 24 + 76 = 124 , and yet the picture size is still 10x10  = 100

i've searched the internet but cant find the clue:
How it is possible that Gimp while exporting histogram counts more pixels than there are really in the picture?

Thank you for help Smile
Yes, likely a bug, nice finding.

Didn't see you code, but if you access each pixel in turn using get_pixel(), you code will not scale to real-life images. In Python your can use "pixel regions", which is a nbig array-like structure that you can access in Python (it even supports slices).
(06-12-2020, 03:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Yes, likely a bug, nice finding.

Didn't see you code, but if you access each pixel in turn using get_pixel(), you code will not scale to real-life images. In Python your can use "pixel regions", which is a nbig array-like structure that you can access in Python (it even supports slices).

from PIL import Image
import numpy as np

img = Image.open('start.bmp')

arr=np.array(img)
print (arr)

#im still learning arrays so i changed it to list that im more familiar with

b=arr.tolist()

print ()

flat_list=[]

for sublist in b:
    for item in sublist:
        flat_list.append(item)

white_dots=0
black_dots=0

for i in flat_list:
    if i == 255:
        white_dots+=1
    if i == 0:
        black_dots+=1

print ('number 255: ', white_dots)
print ('number 0: ', black_dots)

thats my code Smile
thank you very much Big Grin
Oh, I thought you where doing a Python Gimp script...

You may be more familiar with lists, but the numpy array is much faster. Not as bad as a Gimp get_pixel() but for real-size images numpy will make a very significant difference.
(06-12-2020, 04:16 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Oh, I thought you where doing a Python Gimp script...

You may be more familiar with lists, but the numpy array is much faster. Not as bad as a Gimp get_pixel() but for real-size images numpy will make a very significant difference.

Thank you Smile