Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How scale drawing to specific size?
Hi there,
I have a piece of artwork I've added to Gimp and am trying to scale to certain dimensions. I was my understanding that if you use the scale tool and insert either the new desired height and width of the drawing (and the scale is locked), and press 'scale', that it would automatically re-scale it to fit the dimensions, however, it doesn't seem to fit the specified dimensions exactly, with gaps showing on either the sides or top/bottom. 
Any idea how to get it to scale a drawing to a specific size?
Providing the image would be a plus or a screenshot with the layer's dialog.
When you said "I added to GIMP"... Is it a new image or you added it on an image already opened in GIMP?

For the moment just guessing what you did, may be your image has transparent border, thus when you scale the layer ➤ you keep these transparent border, keeping a "gap"
Possible solution: Select your layer you want to re-scale, go to the menu Layer ➤ Crop to Content (this action will remove a possible transparent border),
then now you can re-scale without gap.

Another possible solution: May be you are trying to scale the full image instead of a layer, go to the menu Image ➤ Scale Image
What is the size of the image and what is your target size? Did you check that the aspect ratio (width/height) is the same for both?
I think it is PixLabs last possibility:

Using the scale tool from the toolbox. The image is scaled (or the layer if more than a single layer) but the canvas size remains the same. That results in borders when the image is exported.

Use the Image Menu -> Scale Image which does what it says.
(08-08-2022, 04:57 AM)PixLab Wrote: Providing the image would be a plus or a screenshot with the layer's dialog.
When you said "I added to GIMP"... Is it a new image or you added it on an image already opened in GIMP?

For the moment just guessing what you did, may be your image has transparent border, thus when you scale the layer ➤ you keep these transparent border, keeping a "gap"
Possible solution: Select your layer you want to re-scale, go to the menu Layer ➤ Crop to Content (this action will remove a possible transparent border),
then now you can re-scale without gap.

Another possible solution: May be you are trying to scale the full image instead of a layer, go to the menu Image ➤ Scale Image
Thank you! I think this is the answer-
Unfortunately it is still does not seem to be scaling to the requested size- Please see attached image- I have tried image > scale image. Though my preferred size is entered (7,200 x 10,800 pixels), it doesn't seem to adjust the size at all. When I just select 'shift' and 's' for the scale tool, it will adjust the size, but still not to exactly to 7,200 x 10,800 (it will only to one or the other)- Also did 'crop to content' so shouldn't be any transparent background-

Ideas?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It seems that your image / layer (named frog enhanced) has not the same ratio than the background, thus if you keep the aspect ratio (with the link chain) it will never be 7200x10800, one side will always be longer or shorter

One question, though: What the white layer in the background for?

Out of the box, solutions that come to my mind

1 rescale but unlink the ratio by unticking the chain (image will be slightly distorted, you might not notice a real difference at those size)

2 rescale with ratio but after rescaling go to Image ➤ Fit Canvas to Layer
3 rescale with ratio then after rescaling go to menu Layer ➤ Layer to image size ➤ this will cut excess outside

Also when you use the scale tool be sure that the right option is selected (red arrow is for layer, yellow arrow is the full image)

Thank you!!! So appreciate your helpful suggestions- Very direct and easy to follow with the photos- Thanks!