Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Edit Text on .psd doc with Gimp.. Total Newbie
Hi All

I have a document that i wish to edit. I cant figure out how to do this. I can see the document in the main of my screen and the layers to the right. When i click in the layers box on the right and change each Layer title, this doesnt change the actual wording on the document. E.g If on the Document it says "Happyness" and i find the relating layer and rename it "Sadness" the layer title on the box in right says "sadness" but the actual document has not been visually edited. Also Each Layer on the document is more of a Grey and white checked box, rather than a Text box.. As a total beginner im lost to my error. Please advise if possible. Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

When opening a psd in Gimp the text is no longer editable. It gets converted from text to bitmap. The best is to create a new text layer using Gimp's text tool. Then switch off the psd layer using the eye next to the layer.

The layer name is just that, a layer name. Changing it makes navigating the layers easier. The document image isn't changed at all.

The grey and white checks represent transparency. Text is created on a transparent layer.
Thanks Blighty.

So is Gimp the wrong software for easily editing a .psd? I just want a free route to editing this .psd Document.
(06-24-2019, 05:26 PM)tammy67 Wrote: So is Gimp the wrong software for easily editing a .psd?  I just want a free route to editing this .psd Document.

I'm no expert on editing psd files. Maybe someone with better knowledge than me can assist.

I suspect that the only software that will give 100% support for psd is photoshop. All others will have some quirks here and there. If you have lots of text to edit then Gimp is not the way to go. But I can't recommend an alternative.
For what I see the whole thing is text, and I don't see the purpose of using PS (or Gimp) for this. Looks more like a matter of "when your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails". Tools like LibreOffice or Scribus are better suited for fancy text.