Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Keep Resolution....
After editing an image how do I keep it at the same resolution that it was at previously?

I noticed in the small box that pops up when you 'export' that there was/is an advanced option. I clicked on it and it gave me an option to
'Use quality settings from original image' (Now that I have clicked the advanced + I don't get the advanced option any more - maybe it doesn't for an image previously exported with this setting.) It does however give 'load default and save default'

My question also would be do I need to put in a number for quality at the top - like when compressing?

Think I have worked it out. Can you please confirm.

Smile
(09-10-2017, 10:09 AM)sallyanne Wrote: After editing an image how do I keep it at the same resolution that it was at previously?

I noticed in the small box that pops up when you 'export' that there was/is an advanced option. I clicked on it and it gave me an option to
'Use quality settings from original image' (Now that I have clicked the advanced + I don't get the advanced option any more - maybe it doesn't for an image previously exported with this setting.) It does however give 'load default and save default'

My question also would be do I need to put in a number for quality at the top - like when compressing?

Think I have worked it out. Can you please confirm.

Is this the quality setting when you export a jpeg.

Two situations

If the original image is a jpeg, the slider at the top should be the existing quality setting, same as original.

If the original image is not a jpeg, say a png, and you export as a jpeg, then Gimp will use the default quality setting 90

You can change that slider to anything you want.

A note about jpeg quality settings, it is not a percentage, it is not linear. A 100 setting is still lossy compressed a little. File size drops quickly for a values 80 - 100 and quality remains ok-ish. Drop the quality a lot and not much saving in file size but quality drops off sharply.
Thank you rich. The last image I worked on was a 7952 x 4472 jpg and the previous quality settings of that image was at 89.
The owner of the photo asked for it to stay at the same resolution after it was edited.

Smile