Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Manipulate Text into Shape?
@rich2005

Those 3 steps are to be executed one after another or those are 3 options to achieve desired effect?
(12-13-2017, 03:12 PM)TechnicGeek Wrote: @rich2005

Those 3 steps are to be executed one after another or those are 3 options to achieve desired effect?

If this post #3 ?

They are individual steps, where a particular text layer + the appropriate path are used together

If you look at that last screen shot you might just see what I mean https://i.imgur.com/nh2Gxp3.jpg

No need to delete the original text, just hide it, but if you change the text then you need to re-do the step.
Maybe we should keep in mind that all these shaped texteffects are not exactly beginners material.

You can make nice t-shirts by just putting plain text without any fancy effects on the design but use an interesting font !
@Rich2005

Thanks. It's clear now.

Is Envelope located in "Filters" in Inkscape?

@Espermaschine

Have you heard of Affinity Designer? If yes, do you know if it also offers exact text manipulation like Illustrator does?

Is Bend LPE plugin for Inkscape?
(12-13-2017, 04:12 PM)TechnicGeek Wrote: @Espermaschine

Have you heard of Affinity Designer? If yes, do you know if it also offers exact text manipulation like Illustrator does?

Yes, Chris Hildenbrand has talked about it but i have never used it or have knowledge about it.
If you want the Warp Effect/arched text so badly you can try to install a trial version of PS or AI, but im not sure whether you can save with it.

Quote:Is Bend LPE plugin for Inkscape?

Yes it is. LPE means Live Path Effect. Its not a filter.
Same as Envelope and many more.
(12-13-2017, 04:12 PM)TechnicGeek Wrote: @Rich2005

Thanks. It's clear now.

Is Envelope located in "Filters" in Inkscape?

Much the same as previous post

Bottom of the Path Menu -> Path Effects

You need to convert the text to a path, this is what I use (I know this is the old method and Espermaschine uses different)

Make sure the text is active (click on it with cursor, get the dotted border)
Path menu -> Object to Path
Object menu -> Ungroup
Path menu -> Combine

Make sure it is still active when you go to Path Effects. 

Using Inkscape 0.92 bend is in Path Effects as well. e.g: top envelope, bottom bend: https://i.imgur.com/Jx25lFi.jpg 

Either of those I would use Gimp, top - warptext script, bottom - regular text-along-path
The only advantage with Inkscape is you see adjustments in real time.
@Espermaschine

Do you know if Warp/Arch Effect is available in older CS versions? I like that with old versions you pay once. I was thinking of getting CS4-6 but they are rare these days and are sold for ~$500 I think.

Do you know which of other softwares support "Smart Objects" like CC has?

@rich2005

I was doing something different. I would draw 2 objects and text. Then select all of them and go to Extensions > Modify Path > Envelope. I succeeded at one time and was able to put text already according to shape I drew with Path Tool but no longer I can do it. I don't remember the commands I executed but text would take form of the top frame without me needing to adjust dots in a path like in envelope you talked about. I prefer this way because I already have shape drawn and can easily accommodate text inside: 

I guess it was a mistake to talk about other programs. Its was meant as an overview and to put things into perspective.
If you want Adobe features you have to pay for a version of Photoshop.
This forum is about graphic design with open source programs, and focuses on Gimp.
(12-17-2017, 11:49 AM)TechnicGeek Wrote: @rich2005

I was doing something different. I would draw 2 objects and text. Then select all of them and go to Extensions > Modify Path > Envelope. I succeeded at one time and was able to put text already according to shape I drew with Path Tool but no longer I can do it. I don't remember the commands I executed but text would take form of the top frame without me needing to adjust dots in a path like in envelope you talked about. I prefer this way because I already have shape drawn and can easily accommodate text inside: 

Always use the tools that suit you best.

Guessing for that Inkscape envelope, you did not convert the text to a path. 

repeat after me the mantra: Object to path - Object Ungroup - Path Combine. 
The 4 point 'envelope' has to be above the text path.

What is does not do is bend the text https://i.imgur.com/a8wWgXe.jpg Which is where sg-warp-text, although slow, scores over it.

Not uncommon to swap between different applications, Gimp - Inkscape - Krita - (sometimes) MyPaint. These have some file formats in common. PS is a different matter.
So, my script-writing neurone has fired. The case where the verticals in the text are kept vertical and the two envelope paths are defined by exactly two points each is not too complicated with some math (and this is really 90% or more of the uses...).

This is of course completely analytical (remapping the path control points, and not creating any new ones as other scripts do)

Still have to make the script more user-proof and document everything...

Stay tuned, but don't hold your breath Smile