Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Move an Item without Moving the Whole Layer
I come across this issue frequently but am too freaking stupid to work out how to word the question.
I want to move a single element on the canvas.
I duplicate the layer so I can move around a second rectangle:

Then I attempt to reposition the second layer that contains the second rectangle...

But when I do that the ENTIRE layer (element + background) is moved.

Please dispel this simple yet chronic blindspot of mine.
And thank you.

]I originally included screenshots for clarity but was delivered this message:

Request Entity Too Large

The requested resource does not allow request data with POST requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.
I duplicate the layer so I can move around a second rectangle:
If in your duplicate there is also the background, it's a kind of normal,
now if you create a new layer and draw your rectangle on it, when you will move it, the background will not move, only the layer with the rectangle.

also what do you call "element"?
  • a selection?
  • a path?
  • a draw?

an image with the layer dialog would be nice
To upload an image it's 500 KB big max, reduce your image below 500 Kb and upload it or upload it to imgur and give us the link Wink
@bozo
Your question makes me think you come from some other graphics application
Quote:...I want to move a single element on the canvas....

Gimp is a bitmap (raster) editor that creates the image using rectangular pixels. It does not really use "elements" or "objects" that you might find in a vector application, although you can have layers and layer groups.

Quote:....I duplicate the layer so I can move around a second rectangle:
Then I attempt to reposition the second layer that contains the second rectangle...
But when I do that the ENTIRE layer (element + background) is moved....

That ENTIRE layer (element + background) is just one collection of those pixels. You have to separate that "rectangle" from the other pixels yourself. That might be easy or complicated. A rectangular selection or sometimes a fuzzy select then a Edit -> Copy a Select -> None then Edit -> Paste As -> New Layer can work. A lot depends on the image.
Sometimes if the rectangle shape is simple, create a new one from scratch on a new transparent layer.

This an example using the fuzzy select tool. Note that all the selection tools have different modes (add / subtract etc) depending on the nature of the selection.
Just a one minute animation example, there are several other ways: https://i.imgur.com/E0C0v96.mp4
(07-25-2021, 01:07 AM)bozo Wrote: I originally included screenshots for clarity but was delivered this message:

Request Entity Too Large

The requested resource does not allow request data with POST requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.

Must have been some huge screenshot because the server self-protects against uploads bigger than 2MB. Futhermore flat image formats like JPG/PNG are limited to 500K which is more than enough if you use JPG even on a 4K display.
Thanks everyone for the learnings! I will continue poring through these responses.

And no I dont come from any other graphics applications, I just tend to juggle terminology. I know its frustrating.

By "element" I meant the rectangle that I drew on the layer.

And no it was not a huge screenshot, just a little screenclipping made using Onenote. Good to know they arent as economic as I thought...

Once again, thanks everyone! I know I should learn gimp better, I really have many times, but forget to write down all the steps that got me there, so start from scratch everytime. Last year I was zipping around gimp lost in a world of experimentation - yesterday I found myself unable to move a freaking rectangle and so chose to bug the internet about it. Sorry guys!