Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Put a Border Round an Image
Hi,

I am trying to do something I am sure is simple and probably has multiple solutions but I just don't seem to be able to find an answer that works.

I have a JPG image, which is 3000 pixels square. All I wish to do is save out a copy of the image but with a thin black border.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could give me pointers on how to do this, please?

Kind wishes - Patrick

Huh
  • Select > All
  • Select > Border (enter border width)
  • Layer > new layer
  • Bucket-fill selection with black
This create the border inside the image.

If you want the border outside, use Image > Canvas size to add twice the border width to each dimension and center your existing image. Then you are back to process above.
Other ways:

Select -> All
Edit -> Stroke Selection with a suitable size (2 x required width as half is outside the canvas and lost)

Filters -> Decor -> Add Border Set the X and Y size / Set the colour / Set the delta value to 1
This puts a border around the image as a new layer, so Image -> Merge Visible or Image -> Flatten
All good suggestions. I will add using Irfanview. Image/add border/frame. Select all black and type in the size. Irfanview has several types of borders and is free and very easy to use. It is one of the few things I still use Irfanview for.
Another method that allows even more flexibility is to increase your canvas size a bit (and choose the "center" option to keep your main image in the middle), add a new transparent layer, bucket fill it whatever color you'd like, then put that layer under your main image.
Makes a perfect frame.
Or if you have the GMIC qt plugin it has many types of frames. The regular is the one you want

Smile