Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Recover File after a Crash?
I'm using:
Windows 10
GIMP 2.10.34

I was following a tutorial and Gimp crashed.
I hadn't saved. Yeah, I know, I know...

Anyway, is there a temp folder where I can retrieve the unsaved file?

I found two temp folders connected to Gimp but they were both empty.

Thank you,
AngelH.
(08-01-2023, 03:33 AM)AngelH Wrote: I found two temp folders connected to Gimp but they were both empty.

Thank you,
AngelH.

When you re-open GIMP, if GIMP does not propose you to recover a file, thus it's because there is no file to recover.
To have a recovery file you might need to have saved it first as xcf somewhere, then work on it, then if GIMP crashes you might have a recovery file -> but I'm not sure about that, might be all BS.

The only times I saw a recovery from GIMP is when I got a brownout, when electricity goes back, I start my computer, and GIMP did propose me to recover, other than that I cannot recall when was the last time that GIMP did crash (but I'm not using Microsoft's Windows OS).

A Ctrl+S every 5-10 minutes, or every 50 nodes making a path (ask Ofnuts with its 2330 nodes, I'm sure he did a lot of Ctrl+S Big Grin ), or just after a long use of a special filters, etc... > is the ONLY way to mitigate damages in case of problem  Wink
Patrice
(08-01-2023, 03:57 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 03:33 AM)AngelH Wrote: I found two temp folders connected to Gimp but they were both empty.

Thank you,
AngelH.

When you re-open GIMP, if GIMP does not propose you to recover a file, thus it's because there is no file to recover.
To have a recovery file you might need to have saved it first as xcf somewhere, then work on it, then if GIMP crashes you might have a recovery file -> but I'm not sure about that, might be all BS.

The only times I saw a recovery from GIMP is when I got a brownout, when electricity goes back, I start my computer, and GIMP did propose me to recover, other than that I cannot recall when was the last time that GIMP did crash (but I'm not using Microsoft's Windows OS).

A Ctrl+S every 5-10 minutes, or every 50 nodes making a path (ask Ofnuts with its 2330 nodes
, I'm sure he did a lot of Ctrl+S Big Grin ), or just after a long use of a special filters, etc... > is the ONLY way to mitigate damages in case of problem  Wink

Yes, Ctrl S is so easy.
Except when I'm too busy creating (in the zone) to do it.
I had duplicated the image but not saved the new image at all.

My own fault.

I have had Gimp suggest they could get back a file, but it doesn't happen often. Thank you for explaining the why's of it PixLab.

I'm going to go use G'MIC to see if I can recreate the best of them.

Thank you,
AngelH.