Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to apply a gradient with the "Stroke-Visible-Paths" Plug-In?
Both Plug-Ins made by the "Ofnuts" person.

The "Path-Inbetweener" Plug-In creates many layers of Paths within two existing Paths, sectioning your shape up so that it looks like an integration maths problem. Then apparently the "Stroke-Visible-Lines" Plug-In is supposed to be able apply incremental colours from a Gradient to each of those intermediary Paths, so that in theory, with enough intermediary layers, you should be able to apply a colour gradient to a custom shape: by tracing the shape's outline with a Path and then a miniature of the shape at its centre, filling the intermediary space with additional paths, then 'Stroking' those paths with individual increments of a colour-gradient. However all I can achieve using that Plug-In tool is to apply the Background colour to all of those paths.
This is the Color source near the top of the options dialog.

It uses the current gradient:

And yes you can do what you think you can:

@Ofnuts

Here's what my Gradient looks like:

This is what the image looks like after inserting the intermediary Paths:

This is what the "Stroke-Visible-Paths" Context-Menu looks like:

Here's a close-up of the result, notice that the lines are all coloured in one colour only, with no sign of any gradient:

Because you asked path-inbetweener to generate a single path with several strokes, instead of several paths with one stroke each. stroke-fill-path with change the color from one path to another, not withing the same path (otherwise the 3D Gimp image above would have flat letters of different colors).

For the difference between a path and a stroke, see here.
Gotcha. Cheers.
@galen, not really an answer to the question, but I like to mention this script because the script fill a space between 2 paths with gradients : 'path blend' by Rob Antonishen (see .7z included file).

.7z   RMA_path_blend.7z (Size: 2.72 KB / Downloads: 36)

(02-06-2024, 12:18 PM)denzjos Wrote: @galen, not really an answer to the question, but I like to mention this script because the script fill a space between 2 paths with gradients : 'path blend' by Rob Antonishen (see .7z included file).

Thanks.
@galen, I've read other posts from you and it seems that after installing plugins/scripts you're having trouble finding them. Well, after setting the 'path blend' you can find it in the gimp menu under 'Script-Fu2 / Paths / Path Blend'. When I first started using gimp I also struggled with the different menus, but it's a learning curve and I'm still learning. This forum offers the opportunity to help people who want to use a free graphics program created by many volunteers. So if you're stuck in gimp, just post the problem: there are a lot of people on this forum willing to help you. 

PS : you can search where you can find a plugin with 'Help' in the gimp menu : Help /  Plug-in browser. 

Here a screendump where you can find the 'path blend' :

@denzjos, a curious fact is that sometimes the same plugin/script ends up for some reason being located in different menus.

This plugin (Path Blend - Rob Antonishen April 2022) for me it appears in the menu <image>/Filters/Render/Path Blend...
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.