Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to apply the same adjustments to multiple images?
The idea of being able to apply the same post processing operations (i.e., adjustments) on multiple image files is a pretty conventional idea in most post processing software used to manipulate image files.  GIMP maintains a history of operations applied to a given file and allows undoing/redoing past operations.  However, I haven't found any method to preserve the complete set of operations applied to an image file in such a way that it can be subsequently applied to another file.  As best I can tell this is true even when loading multiple image files into the same instance of GIMP.

Have I failed to figure out how to do something that seems like a pretty basic feature that just about anybody would find helpful?  In fact, it looks like the only way to do this would require maintaining a separate record of every change applied to an image and then repeating all of those steps.  If so this is quite arduous and difficult to be certain about the accuracy in a reliable manner.
No such thing in Gimp out of the box(*). You can find it in more photo-oriented apps such as DarkTable or RawTherapee.

Most filters can save their settings, and even export them, so you can reapply them:

If all you do is general color/brightness/contrast adjusments, you can use GMIC to generate a CLUT from the initial and final image, and then re-apply the CLUT on other images.

(*) Because in the general case it is very, very complicated and would not be applicable anyway. If you processing selects a color, what are the chances at the very same color selection will have the same effect on another picture? Or if you paint the quickmask to create a selection to remove something? Not speaking of using several layers... The other photo apps usually have very little or simplified support for local editing. This said in the long run you should be able to define/save simple process as GEGL pipelines and therefore re-apply them elsewhere.
For basic operations like layer size you can link all layers, then 'pack linked layers' and apply to the layer group.

For other filter-type operations I do what ofnuts suggested except I use the stand-alone version of G'MIC.

First I copy a frame from the middle of the layer series. Then start G'MIC from a terminal so I can read the command that is applied to that one frame.
Once I have the command I paste it in a batch script and run it from a new term box. I can do this with most gegl commands as well and I think rich knows how to use babl for similar.
Like Tas_mania, I do it with G'MIC but in a different way, I use G'MIC as plugin > https://gmic.eu and I have a plugin to export layers as image/file there > https://khalim19.github.io/gimp-plugin-export-layers/
Once installed, open GIMP, import your images as layers, go to Filters > G'MIC, a window opens, do your thing, once happy  do not click OK, yet, but in the "Input Layer" select "All", then click OK, all layers will have the same adjustment.

Then I go to File > Export Layers...
Done.
I didn't notice you are using Windows so my answer would be implemented differently. PixLab's method is very good provided you don't have a large number of layers (thousands) that exceed your workstation ram memory limit. You will know when you hit the 'memory wall' because Gimp reverts to saving to disk which is slow.
If you can get all the processing requirements from the gimp_gmic_qt plugin it is possibly the closest to a macro available.

For any adjustment you save the command as a 'Fave(orite) and also copy to the clipboard if required.

Use the individual 'faves' to reproduce on some other image. Also possible to group the adjustments into a code group using copy-paste and run a series all at once.

(04-24-2023, 07:50 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: I didn't notice you are using Windows so my answer would be implemented differently. PixLab's method is very good provided you don't have a large number of layers (thousands) that exceed your workstation ram memory limit. You will know when you hit the 'memory wall' because Gimp reverts to saving to disk which is slow.

You can tell a bit before this if you use Windows > Dockable dialogs > Dashboard (bottom of list) and keep an eye on the Cache display.
Thanks for all of the responses.  It looks like I'm not the only one with an interest in doing such things.  My apology for not making it clear that I am running GIMP on Windows and I'm most grateful that GIMP still works on Windows 7.

While I do have GMIC installed and even up to date, I'm afraid I haven't used it for much of anything.  Based on my review of everything offered in response to this post it sounds like GMIC is the answer to my question.  For me, I'm going to need to spend a good bit of time learning more about GMIC in order to do that.

Thanks again!