Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to automatically rename the image when exporting? (no prompts)
Hi,

When we want to export an image we get a prompt to decide where to save it and in which format. But we can't simply export it as a copy of the original image. We have to go through the whole process each time and manually rename the image. And if we want to export the same image over and over again with a modified version of it, it becomes extremely time consuming.

Is there a way to simply click "export" and quickly save the image within the same format, without any prompt at all, and that simply rename the file to "image name (1)" ? Like on windows, when we save an new image in the a folder that already has an image with same name.

I know there is the "Ctrl+ E" export option, but that will erase the original image.

Thank you.
Perhaps my ofn-save-next script. Assumes that the image name ends with a number to start with...
(08-19-2022, 04:33 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Perhaps my ofn-save-next script. Assumes that the image name ends with a number to start with...

Thanks you but my images almost never ends with a number to begin with. Number appears when the first copy of it is created. So, if that what you mean, it won't work in my case. Imma test it anyway.
(08-19-2022, 07:37 PM)Soliip Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 04:33 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Perhaps my ofn-save-next script. Assumes that the image name ends with a number to start with...

Thanks you but my images almost never ends with a number to begin with. Number appears when the first copy of it is created. So, if that what you mean, it won't work in my case. Imma test it anyway.

At line 43, maybe Ofnuts can add a 0 (zero) to the name instead of raising an error? Big Grin
(08-20-2022, 03:00 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 07:37 PM)Soliip Wrote:

At line 43, maybe Ofnuts can add a 0 (zero) to the name instead of raising an error?  Big Grin

My script is meant to assign numbers in image sequences, so the needed numbering scheme is a bit different than for backups. But anyone can grab the script and edit it. And distribute the result, after removing my name.

To the OP: there are "autosave" plugins that could also fulfill your needs?
(08-20-2022, 07:40 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 03:00 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 07:37 PM)Soliip Wrote: Thanks you but my images almost never ends with a number to begin with. Number appears when the first copy of it is created. So, if that what you mean, it won't work in my case. Imma test it anyway.

At line 43, maybe Ofnuts can add a 0 (zero) to the name instead of raising an error?  Big Grin

My script is meant to assign numbers in image sequences, so the needed numbering scheme is a bit different than for backups. But anyone can grab the script and edit it. And distribute the result, after removing my name.

To the OP: there are "autosave" plugins that could also fulfill your needs?

I'm not sure what you mean by autosave. Where will it save the image into and under what name? I'm willing to try any workaround if it always us to simply save a new image quickly while keep the original one (or the previous modified one).

Now, you guys made me think about a really weird workaround i could try. I could just quickly copy/past in the same folder the image i'm working on right before i "Ctrl+E" export (the method that erases the previous version of the image, but which is at least very quick and doesn't need any prompt). On windows, copy/past an image gives it the name "ImageName - copy" (and then "ImageName - copy(2)" etc)

And then, if i want to create 10 versions of the same image and save it after each time i modify it, i could just let the folder opened on windows explorer and come back to it right before i need to export a new version, copy/past the image again, that would save/secure the previous version of it, and then "Ctrl+E".
So, for example, after i made 10 versions of the same image i would have "ImageName - copy" which would end up being the very first original image, then "ImageName - copy(2)" would be the very first modified version of it, up to "ImageName - copy(10)" the 9th version, and finally the original name "ImageName" which, weirdly enough, would be the 10th and last iteration of the original image.

It's very counter intuitive and i don't really like it, but i just realized it would already be 10 times faster than the normal process. Especially when Gimp prompt you to choose where to save in a folder and the folder has many files, it can take forever to load each time. Plus the fact that you have to rename it manually each time. Skipping all of this process is a win for me already.
My two euros worth. 
What sort of image formats are you working with and the degree of editing ? Multiple layer, psds are probably out.

Quote:I'm not sure what you mean by autosave. Where will it save the image into and under what name?

Means the same as say, a word processor, where backups are made at designated intervals. In Gimp it might look like this:

You see one snag, this saves in Gimp .xcf formats.

If a single layer edit, I use a homemade plugin, dumps the image to a designated folder but only as a jpeg or png, adds a long index to the layer name (which is often the file name)  As with most plugins a quick repeat Ctl-F is top of the Filters Menu. Might come in useful / or not.  Looks like this in Windows.  https://i.imgur.com/3mwZN0q.mp4

Both those, python plugins, attached, unzip and pop in your plugins folder, C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

Attached Files
.zip   saveit.zip (Size: 12.91 KB / Downloads: 59)
(08-20-2022, 01:00 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Means the same as say, a word processor, where backups are made at designated intervals. In Gimp it might look like this:

I meant what it implied by autosaving. Is it like you said, the same autosave than on a word document? If so, it's exactly the same as manually overwriting/exporting (but it would be automatic). It will erase the previous version of the image. I don't want to overwrite the previous version.

Let's say you edit a picture and you change background to 3 different colors. You change background once, you save (without overwriting the original image),you change background to a second color, save (without overwriting the previous versions) and a third time with the third background.
You're left with the original image, and 3 versions of it with 3 different background. You can keep them and later choose the one you prefer or whatever.

How would you do that in the most efficient way with Gimp? without renaming anything manually or select manually the folder to save in (make it save inside the same folder as original image). For now, it's been an extremely long process when i'm in this kind of situation, and it's a been frustrating to spend so much time just to save a file. And it completely throws off your work flow too.

Just to be clear i'm never talking about the .xcf files in my thread. I don't mind having to save those manually. No matter how long it takes.

(08-20-2022, 01:00 PM)rich2005 Wrote: If a single layer edit, I use a homemade plugin, dumps the image to a designated folder but only as a jpeg or png, adds a long index to the layer name (which is often the file name)  As with most plugins a quick repeat Ctl-F is top of the Filters Menu. Might come in useful / or not.  Looks like this in Windows.  https://i.imgur.com/3mwZN0q.mp4

Erf, seems like pretty much exactly what i need, but i almost always have several layers. So i assume it won't work? But thanks a lot for the explanation and the video. I might still use it. But I'd have to remember to put everything into one layer before save and then undo it again. My workaround might save more time I think.
Quote:I meant what it implied by autosaving. Is it like you said, the same autosave than on a word document? If so, it's exactly the same as manually overwriting/exporting (but it would be automatic). It will erase the previous version of the image. I don't want to overwrite the previous version.

If you noticed the autosave has a nr (no.) kept - set the number of levels to keep (from memory, get to last number, then starts again at 1)

Quote:..snip..but i almost always have several layers.

That is why the autosave plugin uses Gimp .xcf format. Are you a refugee from PS Wink  Best keep the images in Gimp format rather than psd, at least text remains text.

The attached (adapting my old 2013 version) just dumps the file to a filename+longindexnumber.xcf The index comes from the time in seconds from (I think 1970) Long but at least it is unique. Works the same as the quicksave.py Find it in Tools -> Save to xcf

Quote:...But I'd have to remember to put everything into one layer before save and then undo it again.
In Gimp that is Layer -> New from Visible

Attached Files
.zip   save-xcf.zip (Size: 585 bytes / Downloads: 53)
(08-20-2022, 06:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote: That is why the autosave plugin uses Gimp .xcf format. Are you a refugee from PS Wink  Best keep the images in Gimp format rather than psd, at least text remains text.

The attached (adapting my old 2013 version) just dumps the file to a filename+longindexnumber.xcf The index comes from the time in seconds from (I think 1970) Long but at least it is unique. Works the same as the quicksave.py Find it in Tools -> Save to xcf

I'm more than a refugee from PS, or worse depending on how you see it, I simply started to edit pictures as an amateur and decided to use Gimp right away. Barely ever touched PS to begin with. And i rarely save any .xcf files unless it's a big project or something i know i'm gonna go back to. For small edits, I simply save the image or several versions of it, and scrap the project afterward.

Gimp's been really useful and enough for what i do, but the fact that it's always been impossible to do something as simple as easily exporting the image you're working on as a copy of the original image (or of the previous version you just exported) is the biggest mystery to me. Why does it have to be so painful? Especially how long it takes for Gimp to open a folder with many files in it. Why is it not implemented in the software without needing any plugin?

We would simply have those 3 options available (instead of 2), it will cover basically 100% of the situations anyone could face :

Export to "ImageName.jpg" ( Will overwrite if same name is found in the folder )
Export to "ImageName.jpg" ( Will rename if same name is found in the folder )  <----- (n+1) if there is already an ImageName(n), like windows explorer does
Export As...

And that's it. I don't understand how is it not the norm. That's just beyond me because how useful that would be.

Anyway, I thank you guys for your solutions. I'm gonna try those out, hoping i will find what i'm looking for. But it's a shame that the average user, like me, can't have access to this simple option right away without having to search on the internet for plugins. Even worse, homemade plugins, that i'm grateful you've shared here, but that 99.99% of users are unlikely to ever find.

Quote:
Quote:...But I'd have to remember to put everything into one layer before save and then undo it again.
In Gimp that is Layer -> New from Visible

Indeed, forgot that existed. It should work well with your plugin then. Imma test this. Thanks.