Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to change angle of quick snap
Hi,

when i hold left control and draw line it is 15 degree per increment. How can I modify this value to other one?
(09-18-2019, 04:10 PM)dude12 Wrote: Hi,

when i hold left control and draw line it is 15 degree per increment. How can I modify this value to other one?

AFAIK There is no adjustment for that. 15 deg. It is a fixed value. Using the brush/pencil tool you can juggle with the angle shown in the info bar bottom of the window. Even then Gimp uses a strange (I think) reference - measured from horizontal and anticlockwise. I am used to vertical (North) = 0 deg and clockwise.

If I want an exact angle, I create a path and rotate it. You can move the center of rotation to one end. Enter the angle in the dialogue. Then either stroke the path or use it as a guide.

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-18-2019, 04:42 PM)rich2005 Wrote:

AFAIK There is no adjustment for that. 15 deg. It is a fixed value. Using the brush/pencil tool you can juggle with the angle shown in the info bar bottom of the window. Even then Gimp uses a strange (I think) reference - measured from horizontal and anticlockwise. I am used to vertical (North) = 0 deg and clockwise.

If I want an exact angle, I create a path and rotate it. You can move the center of rotation to one end. Enter the angle in the dialogue. Then either stroke the path or use it as a guide.

Thanks for the answer, are you certain that there is no way to modify this value somewhere in the gimp code if you are familiar with it? The way you showed me is not practical for the kinda stuff I would use it.
There is some more info here (may be useful):
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Angled-Guides
(09-18-2019, 04:48 PM)dude12 Wrote:
(09-18-2019, 04:42 PM)rich2005 Wrote:

Thanks for the answer, are you certain that there is no way to modify this value somewhere in the gimp code if you are familiar with it? The way you showed me is not practical for the kinda stuff I would use it.

Depends what you want to do, but if you want paths with a constant angle between them, my ofn-path-to-shape script/toolbox can do it (look for "Spokes" in the help).
(09-18-2019, 04:42 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Even then Gimp uses a strange (I think) reference - measured from horizontal and anticlockwise.

This is just the standard trigonometric convention. Of course, given than Y goes downwards, using clockwise from horizontal would have been just as justified.
I just like to draw geometric stuff and it would be nice if I could use some quick way to do that with gimp.
(09-18-2019, 09:21 PM)dude12 Wrote: I just like to draw geometric stuff and it would be nice if I could use some quick way to do that with gimp.

So do I this is why I wrote ofn-path-to-shape.

See for example: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Polygo...2#pid12772
(09-18-2019, 07:58 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: This is just the standard trigonometric convention. Of course, given than Y goes downwards, using clockwise from horizontal would have been just as justified.

Must be the engineer in me then, where North is 0⁰ E is 90⁰ S is 180⁰ W is 270⁰ and back to N = 360⁰

(mixing up threads here: deg using compose key - ^ - 0 sequence, do they show in your language)
(09-19-2019, 08:56 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Must be the engineer in me then, where North is 0⁰ E is 90⁰ S is 180⁰ W is 270⁰ and back to N = 360⁰

More like a navigator/sailor frame of reference.

(09-19-2019, 08:56 AM)rich2005 Wrote: (mixing up threads here: deg using compose key - ^ - 0 sequence, do they show in your language)

Yes, same character codes for everybody, UTF-8 FTW.