Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to check if we save with iptc option
If I save the image in jpg format with iptc data checked, after closing it, how , from where, can I review that iptc data later? Where is that data stored? How can it be viewed?

And do you recommend to check that option while saving and if so why?
At worst you can reopen the image in Gimp and check the image metadata there. Otherwise many image viewers can show you the metadata (but to recommend any we would have to know your operating system).

Data not saved is data lost, so I would say that the question is more when to explicitly not save it: if it contains personal data and you publish it.
(07-27-2021, 06:34 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: At worst you can reopen the image in Gimp and check the image metadata there. Otherwise many image viewers can show you the metadata (but to recommend any we would have to know your operating system).

Data not saved is data lost, so I would say that the question is more when to explicitly not save it: if it contains personal data and you publish it.

You mean publish where? On the web? So someone can save the picture from web and then view its metadata?
I mark the checkbosx for save iptc data... but then I open it again and view metadata in gimp and there is nothing there excapt date and tie of creation I think because I didnt put anything as metadata. I didnt do anything special as to record any meta data , and I dont even know how to save metadata or save any personal info to a picture
I use windows 10
I will publish in a book I am writing. I also draw images myself. I was checking -without knowing what it means- just in case that I save more information that I am creator of the image. Then in a pdf I will send the book file to amazon for self publish. Can meta data be viewed in such case by others?

Also when I check image properties, under color profile tab it says something like :
GIMP built-in sRGB
sRGB
Manufacturer: GIMP
Copyright: Public Domain

what does this mean? the images I edit with gimp becomes public domain?? I am assuming it refers to gimp itself there
(07-27-2021, 07:01 AM)snowforest Wrote: You mean publish where? On the web? So someone can save the picture from web and then view its metadata?

Yes.

(07-27-2021, 07:01 AM)snowforest Wrote: I mark the checkbosx for save iptc data... but then I open it again and view metadata  in gimp and there is nothing there excapt date and tie of creation  I think because I didnt put anything as metadata. I didnt do anything special as to record any meta data , and I dont even know how to save metadata or save any personal info to a picture

You can edit the picture's metdata with Image ➤ Metadata ➤ Edit metadata

(07-27-2021, 07:01 AM)snowforest Wrote: I use windows 10

I can't make real recommendations since I don't use that. IrfanView/XnView come to mind; I assume Rich will be more specific.

(07-27-2021, 07:01 AM)snowforest Wrote: I will publish in a book I am writing. I also draw images myself. I was checking -without knowing what it means- just in case that I save more information that I am creator of the image. Then in a pdf I will send the book file to amazon for self publish. Can meta data be viewed in such case by others?

The image in the book may be be in a different format, and its copyright is covered by the book's copyright unless mentioned otherwise (but then it should be printed on the image, not in the metadata).

(07-27-2021, 07:01 AM)snowforest Wrote: Also when I check image properties, under color profile tab it says something like :
GIMP built-in sRGB
sRGB
Manufacturer: GIMP
Copyright: Public Domain

what does this mean? the images I edit with gimp becomes public domain?? I am assuming it refers to gimp itself there

This is the copyright of the image color profile, not of the image itself.

Note that you can also put a copyright as a Jpeg "comment", which is a different animal (see Image ➤ Properties).

Don't get too carried away with this copyright thing. Adding a copyright doesn't help much in court, your opponents can replace your copyright by theirs. Your protection is keeping unpublished images with more information from which the published image can be deduced (a multi-layer Gimp file, the uncropped photo from the camera....).
For the last item, filing to copyright office for my book, which includes the images I made is also a good protection right? Because most my images are not very complicated ones I draw myself using librecad etc... and cropping doesn't mean much (someone can add the lines to the sides of the image)

And about the thing you mention about layers, so I should put empty layer onto my image and save like that even if it is redundant?

also does it help to put copyright as a Jpeg "comment", as you suggested or that means nothing?
Comments on XnViewMP ? 
It will write iptc data to an image. Check the attached. It shows up in Gimp, View Metadata
You can extract the iptc data, command line ImageMagick
Code:
convert iptc.jpg 8BIMTEXT:iptc.txt

Not straight plain text it looks like this (in part)

8BIM#1028="IPTC"
1#90#City="%G"
2#20#Supplemental Category="27-07-2021 08:58:01 BST"
----
2#116#Copyright String="my copyright"
2#120#Caption="Caption: Made in Gimp"

But you can also write that back to another file again using ImageMagick. Which would be a way of bulk editing many images with the same information.
Code:
mogrify -profile 8BIMTEXT:iptc.txt filename.jpg

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-27-2021, 07:54 AM)snowforest Wrote: For the last item, filing to copyright office for my book, which includes the images I made is also a good protection right? Because most my images are not very complicated ones I draw myself using librecad etc... and cropping doesn't mean much (someone can add the lines to the sides of the image)

If you have the LibreCAD project from which you can re-export the image then you are good.

(07-27-2021, 07:54 AM)snowforest Wrote: And about the thing you mention about layers, so I should put empty layer onto my image and save like that even if it is redundant?

Sevres to purposes, but if your Gimp image has several non-trivial layers, then you can show that you can makes small alterations easily (something that a copyright thief won't be able to do).

(07-27-2021, 07:54 AM)snowforest Wrote: also does it help to put copyright as a Jpeg "comment", as you suggested or that means nothing?

Not that much, but at least it normally survives the erasure of other metadata.

All in all, don't overthink it. If your images are a few lines they can be redone... Their added value may be in the idea they carry (a novel way to explain something, for instance) and there is no copyright for this.