Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to copy the same gradient fill to another area?
I made a gradient fill in a certain way in an area of my image. Now I want to copy the same gradient fill, in exactly the same way I did, to another area of my image. How can I do it? I do not see a "match properties" option anywhere, or something like that....

By the way, after I made my gradient fill, if I try to select that area that I filled again, it now selects only a very small part of the area, within that gradient fill. How can I select the whole area AFTER i fill with gradient? Because I wanted to copy , cut or delete that gradient but it doesnt work
The same basic info as your other post. Which OS and which Gimp (it does make a difference to the answer).

Quote:I made a gradient fill in a certain way in an area of my image. Now I want to copy the same gradient fill, in exactly the same way I did, to another area of my image. How can I do it? I do not see a "match properties" option anywhere, or something like that....

No sure-fire way, especially with the Gimp 2.10 gradient tool. The starting and end points can be outside the area filled and applied at some angle, all set by you. Then the stops between start and end are adjustable. Once you start adjusting the gradient it becomes a 'custom' gradient. Top entry in the Gradients dock, this is temporary, changes as the gradient is adjusted but at any time it can be duplicated and that renamed and is saved in your user profile gradients folder.
To replicate in another image you still need to know start and end points and angle (and most probably the FG / BG colors originally used)

If you have an area with a gradient, there are plugins to sample the area and create a new gradient based on that area. You still have the problem of start / end / angle on the new area.

Quote:after I made my gradient fill, if I try to select that area that I filled again, it now selects only a very small part of the area

All depends which selection tool is used and for Fuzzy or Color select there is a threshold setting. Always best to work on separate transparent layers which gives more opportunity for retrospective editing.