Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
macOS Colors messed up.
Hey everyone! I've been using GIMP for a couple of years now, and on macOS I have never had any issues. I know macOS Gimp isn't getting updated yet, and hopefully when GIMP 3 comes out the issue will be fixed, but still think I should report it here. I've been using Photoshop for extra things, but Gimp is still my main. But, recently, a major problem has been occurring. When I usually open GIMP, the colors are fine, but after I open a image (not create), they usually look like this.
[Image: moR0hM9.png]
I can change the color, but the pink stays. The original image imports fine, but after that, anything to do with colors goes downhill. Here's a image technically filled with bright red.
[Image: XzDBJHJ.png]
This is really annoying, and I can't find any fix yet. I work with importing multiple images, and working with a lot of layers. This is where it gets even harder.[Image: zifdXIl.png]
Here's the original image, everything appears fine.
[Image: RMVfO63.png]
Here's the image after imported into GIMP. It loses basically all of it's color, but isn't completely black and white. This issue has occured over multiple macOS High Sierra installations and multiple GIMP installations. If anyone knows a temporary fix to this, PLEASE, let me know. Hopefully this will be fixed when the next version of GIMP gets released for macOS.
Mac mini Mid 2011
CPU: 2.5 GHZ Sandy Bridge Intel Core i5-2520M
GPU: AMD Radeon 6630M, 256MB of VRAM
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Best guess for the gray image.  If you add a RGB image to either grayscale or indexed then the RGB image takes the characteristics of the destination image. Solution, change the mode of the destination before adding the image Image -> Mode -> RGB

If this happens just opening a single image, must be a MacOS thing. Backup your Gimp user Profile, possibly something like /Users/MyName/Library/Application Support/Gimp/2.10-backup Start Gimp to create a new Default Profile. See if it makes a difference.

The small magenta triangle is an out of Gamut indicator. It means the selected colour is outside the bounds of the color profile chosen. This can be important if the final work goes to a printing company. You can see this if you have color management and soft-proofing active. You can turn all color management off but it is spread across three menu locations, Edit -> Preferences (as shown) , Image -> Color Management , View -> Color Management
(11-18-2020, 09:36 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Best guess for the gray image.  If you add a RGB image to either grayscale or indexed then the RGB image takes the characteristics of the destination image. Solution, change the mode of the destination before adding the image Image -> Mode -> RGB

If this happens just opening a single image, must be a MacOS thing. Backup your Gimp user Profile, possibly something like  /Users/MyName/Library/Application Support/Gimp/2.10-backup Start Gimp to create a new Default Profile. See if it makes a difference.

The small magenta triangle is an out of Gamut indicator. It means the selected colour is outside the bounds of the color profile chosen. This can be important if the final work goes to a printing company. You can see this if you have color management and soft-proofing active. You can turn all color management off but it is spread across three menu locations, Edit -> Preferences (as shown) , Image -> Color Management , View -> Color Management

Thank you! I will try this when I get home. I should note, the out of gamma does not appear in the color picker, only after the color has been selected in the color preview. The UHD was a screenshot, and GIMP converted the color profile from a "Display" color profile to the GIMP color profile. But, with images that were not converted, this same issue still happens, even if I change the color.
I should also note, it does not happen when I create a new image. Only if I open a pre-existing image.