Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to deselect path in Gimp? Select>None is not working!
(10-14-2019, 09:49 AM)marigolden Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 09:20 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Still not clear. Select>None is about the selection whether it comes form a path or from anything else.

The Path tool shows the handles of the current path but has nothing to do with the selection.

Well, you explain then why when I pressed select>none it was still selected, even on a duplicate, and was only resolved when I selected another tool and *then* did select>none

I don't know, but I think you must have missed something. Or it's a matter of vocabulary, "selected" meaning plenty of things, but having a rather precise meaning in Gimp.
(10-14-2019, 10:48 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 09:49 AM)marigolden Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 09:20 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Still not clear. Select>None is about the selection whether it comes form a path or from anything else.

The Path tool shows the handles of the current path but has nothing to do with the selection.

Well, you explain then why when I pressed select>none it was still selected, even on a duplicate, and was only resolved when I selected another tool and *then* did select>none

I don't know, but I think you must have missed something. Or it's a matter of vocabulary, "selected" meaning plenty of things, but having a rather precise meaning in Gimp.

Selected another tool meaning I pressed another item on the menu. Specifically I pressed Rectangle Select Tool
(10-14-2019, 11:27 PM)marigolden Wrote: Selected another tool meaning I pressed another item on the menu. Specifically I pressed Rectangle Select Tool

Yes but what makes a path "selected"?
(10-14-2019, 11:51 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 11:27 PM)marigolden Wrote: Selected another tool meaning I pressed another item on the menu. Specifically I pressed Rectangle Select Tool

Yes but what makes a path "selected"?

If it's outlined in any way...have you seen the pictures I posted?
(10-15-2019, 01:40 AM)marigolden Wrote: If it's outlined in any way...have you seen the pictures I posted?

"Any" Big Grin

To be explicit:

This path is "edited". To get in/out of this you switch between the Path tool and any other tool.

This path is "visible"/"shown". This is controlled by the eye icon in the path list

This is a selection, it can be from a path, or created by other means. It is removed by Select>None or its visibility can be toggled by View>Show selection (Ctrl-T)

This path is "selected" or "activated" (I prefer the latter since it avoids ambiguity). It is the path that will be used by Select>To path and Edit>Stroke path.