Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to do 'New from Visible' with path layers ?
How can I merge visible paths without losing the original visible path layers (like the image layer option 'New from Visible') ?
Well, the way I do it:

Merge the paths
Right-click in the paths dock and Copy the (merged) path
Undo Ctrl-Z the merge
Right-click in the paths dock and Paste the (merged) path.

example: https://i.imgur.com/ZjP3kEA.mp4 for all the paths but same if you only have chosen paths visible.
Thank you rich, this way, it's a piece of cake.
This said, I have a script to break a path into its individual strokes...
(07-24-2022, 09:12 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Well, the way I do it:

Merge the paths
Right-click in the paths dock and Copy the (merged) path
Undo Ctrl-Z the merge
Right-click in the paths dock and Paste the (merged) path.

example: https://i.imgur.com/ZjP3kEA.mp4 for all the paths but same if you only have chosen paths visible.

rich2005 you are a genius!

I used to duplicate each path, so I just left the new copied paths visible and merged them.

But now I'll do it your way, much better!

Ohhh you guys are monsters! 

I believe Ofnuts is referring to the excellent and indispensable plugin: ofn-path-edits.py with the break path apart option (in the Edit submenu).

After merging the visible paths, apply the plugin and as a result you will have both the paths as they were before they were merged and the merged path as visible.

denzjos, thanks for your question, it made me learn a better way to approach this operation with paths, thx!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
@Ofnuts, I have applied the plugin. I merged the paths first, then used the plugin. The layer with the merged paths remains and the pre-merged layers are separated back into an individual layer. Perfect. Nice work Ofnuts.
(07-25-2022, 07:00 AM)denzjos Wrote: @Ofnuts, I have applied the plugin. I merged the paths first, then used the plugin. The layer with the merged paths remains and the pre-merged layers are separated back into an individual layer. Perfect. Nice work Ofnuts.

At the risk of looking pedantic, I think you mean "paths" or even "strokes" and not "layers". Asking questions here with this kind of ambiguity is never going to help Smile
(07-25-2022, 10:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(07-25-2022, 07:00 AM)denzjos Wrote: @Ofnuts, I have applied the plugin. I merged the paths first, then used the plugin. The layer with the merged paths remains and the pre-merged layers are separated back into an individual layer. Perfect. Nice work Ofnuts.

At the risk of looking pedantic, I think you mean "paths" or even "strokes" and not "layers". Asking questions here with this kind of ambiguity is never going to help Smile

I meant the area in the path dock where the different paths are shown. So I didn't really know how to name this area.  Blush