Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
remove alpha channel on export?
I'm running OS 10.6.8, and using GIMP 2.8.16.

In attempting to export a file with a transparency background I get getting the file with a white alpha channel background that I can't delete or clear. Is there any way I can export just the image with a transparent background without the white? The original projects begin with transparency backgrounds and all the layers have transparency alpha channels.

Also, my Eraser works intermittently. I'm having to use selection tools and Edit>Clear instead. This works but can be time-consuming. Any suggestions on fixes?

Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers!
Just guesses

(07-22-2017, 11:49 PM)peekofartertainment Wrote: I'm running OS 10.6.8, and using GIMP 2.8.16.

In attempting to export a file with a transparency background I get getting the file with a white alpha channel background that I can't delete or clear. Is there any way I can export just the image with a transparent background without the white?

1. Are you exporting to a format that supports transparency (alpha-channel) ? Usually png format Exporting to jpeg loses transparency.
2. Some image viewers do not support the alpha-channel and even a png will show with transparency as white.

Quote:Also, my Eraser works intermittently. I'm having to use selection tools and Edit>Clear instead. This works but can be time-consuming. Any suggestions on fixes?

The eraser tool takes whatever brush is currently active. A tiny brush and you might not see anything. Make sure you use a suitable sized solid brush.