Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get out of the ALT+CTRL mode?

Hello,
I am new here. Thanks for this forum Smile

I wanted to be able to move a selection other than rectangle or circle. I don't mean move a layer nor the content of the selection. I mean move the selection as such.

I found out on the web about using ALT+CTRL. I used it and indeed, I was then then able to move the selection as I would a layer.

The problem: I don't know how to get out of that mode. I tried pressing ALT+CTRL again but this doesn't work. Even when I am on another image or if I quit/restart Gimp, I am still in that mode and I can't move layers anymore. Only selections accept to be moved. And many other tools are not responsive anymore.

If someone could tell me how to desactivate ALT+CTRL, I would be very grateful.
I'd like to be able to use it again and to desactivate it easily when done.

Thanks in advance,
Look like you have a "Floating selection" layer (which isn't Alt-Control mode). See your Layers list (Ctrl-L). You have to either make a plain layer from that (Layer>To new layer or Ctrl-Shift-N) or merge it into its target layer (Layer>Anchor or Ctrl-H).
Two different things there

(06-27-2017, 05:34 PM)fran330 Wrote: I wanted to be able to move a selection other than rectangle or circle. I don't mean move a layer nor the content of the selection. I mean move the selection as such.

If you want to move just the selection, then use the move tool in selection mode, click and drag around the canvas.

[Image: ObWm3mH.jpg]

Quote:If someone could tell me how to desactivate ALT+CTRL, I would be very grateful.
I'd like to be able to use it again and to desactivate it easily when done.

Alt-Ctrl is a different case, you are cutting and pasting. There will be a floating selection in the layers dialog.
You need to anchor that, either from the layers menu, or the anchor icon or ctrl-h or right-click in the layers dialogue for a context menu.

[Image: SSUDhVI.jpg]
Thank you so much guys, for replying so quickly Smile 

My problem had to do with what rich2005 described. The move tool option was on selection. As I hadn't noticed that option I was stuck. A good reminder about always checking the tool options before panicking Rolleyes 

Thanks very much !