Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a watermark on the image
I want to make a watermark on the image with big transparent letters. 
Here is what I did:
I opened my image with gimp.
I created a text box. I typed the text of watermark.

Now how can I make this text transparent and rotate it so it becomes like a watermark?

Or tell me please how to do a watermark properly, if I am not on the right track...
You have made your watermark text with a suitable font (bold is better) (1) and set the color to something contrasting with the background (2) 

To give some transparency to the text layer, adjust the opacity slider (3) in the layer dock.

To rotate the text layer my choice is the unified transform tool (4) Depending where you click the cursor you can rotate (5) (outside) the box or move (6) (inside the box) When complete click on transform. Note that for transforms rotate, scale, shear,.... you lose the text properties (7) and the text layer becomes a bitmap layer (7)

There are any number of scripts and plugins for watermarks but it is a good idea to get to know the basic tools.
Thanks I did it. I don't think a plugin is necessary. What you described seem sufficient, I am not sure what else I might want about it.

And for my learning, what do you mean by #7?

And I see a separate layer for the text, is it necessary to merge it with the picture layer? (without doing so, I could still get the jpg image with watermark which was my ultimate goal here.)
(03-05-2024, 12:16 PM)snowforest Wrote: ....snip...
And for my learning, what do you mean by #7?

And I see a separate layer for the text, is it necessary to merge it with the picture layer? (without doing so, I could still get the jpg image with watermark which was my ultimate goal here.)

A text layer shows in the layer dock with a text symbol see: first image (3). You can change colors / font type and size / position and it remains a text layer.

When you do a 'transformation' such as a scale / rotate / shear with any of the transform tools or paint in it...the layer loses its text properties and becomes a regular layer. see: second image (7)  

It is not necessary to merge layers before exporting as a jpeg. Gimp does this for you. Remember that watermark is now non-removable (well not without a bit of expertise) so make sure the original is backed up somewhere.
(03-05-2024, 12:16 PM)snowforest Wrote: And I see a separate layer for the text, is it necessary to merge it with the picture layer? (without doing so, I could still get the jpg image with watermark which was my ultimate goal here.)

Merging is not only unnecessary, but is not recommended (IMHO), it's even uncanny as you will lose all your layers when you "Save" as an xcf.
When you export, GIMP will export from visible ➤ thus GIMP will export what you see on the canvas itself at the moment you click Export, or from a new image made from what you see on the canvas (usually to see the "size" of what you export like when you export JPG and you checked "Show preview in image window") , so keep all your layers as they are Wink

EDIT: Ok Rich2005 was faster than me Big Grin
Patrice