Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make pencil effect
How can I make a skecth to look like it is drawn by pencil?
The sketches are NOT photos or artwork etc... They are simple architectural sketches made of thin lines drawn with a CAD program. I say it because some methods may not work on thin lines like they do on photos or images full of features... Now I want to make them look like they are drawn by hand with pencil.
(07-08-2021, 08:41 AM)snowforest Wrote: How can I make a skecth to look like it is drawn by pencil?
The sketches are NOT photos or artwork etc... They are simple architectural sketches made of thin lines drawn with a  CAD program. I say it because some methods may not work on thin lines like they do on photos or images full of features... Now I want to make them look like they are drawn by hand with pencil.

My first attempt would be to have the CAD program export the image as SVG (vector graphics), then import the SVG in Gimp as a path and stroke the path with a suitable brush.
(07-08-2021, 09:04 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(07-08-2021, 08:41 AM)snowforest Wrote: How can I make a skecth to look like it is drawn by pencil?
The sketches are NOT photos or artwork etc... They are simple architectural sketches made of thin lines drawn with a  CAD program. I say it because some methods may not work on thin lines like they do on photos or images full of features... Now I want to make them look like they are drawn by hand with pencil.

My first attempt would be to have the CAD program export the image as SVG (vector graphics), then import the SVG in Gimp as a path and stroke the path with a suitable brush.

Which brush and what parameters exactly, any ideas? I tried several things and all I get is solid lines
My stab at it: Wink You managed to get a SVG for Gimp ? If the source is DFX then get a SVG via Inkscape.

The SVG I got from LibreCAD had multiple paths coming from the poly-lines I used. You might want to merge multiple paths into one. Up to you.

Looking at the standard Gimp brushes, I think the best bet is Acrylic 05, a big brush, size it to suit the Gimp canvas.

some screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/Yn4Q8UJ.jpg

Then stroke the path using the painttool option. I went one step further and distressed the line(s) using the Median Blur filter. Experiment with settings depending on image size.

more screenshots: https://i.imgur.com/z4szUHu.jpg

Never going to be wonderful, all straight lines from the CAD . You might be able to distort a little with a distortion map, Making one of those again depends on the image.
After loading a .svg file in gimp I've stroked it with 2 pixels width. Then I've used this filter : G'MIC-Qt / Artistic / Hard Sketch.

You can stroke path with "MyBrush" (select your brush before to stroke path), there is pre-defined pencil

G'MIC has many "Sketch" as well

(07-08-2021, 05:32 PM)denzjos Wrote: After loading a .svg file in gimp I've stroked it with 2 pixels width. Then I've used this filter : G'MIC-Qt / Artistic / Hard Sketch.
That's nice!
Is there a way to stroke everything on the svg at once automtically? Or we must do by hand?
(07-16-2021, 08:14 AM)snowforest Wrote: Is there a way to stroke everything on the svg at once automtically? Or we must do by hand?

Yes we can do all automatically.
rich2005 did a special video for you, and did put down every single step, how cool is that Wink
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-how-to...8#pid24608