Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to manipulate the text to have half gradient or half pattern?
I wasn't really sure where to ask this. So I figured post it in this thread, and go from there.

I tried searching google, but wasn't sure how to go about searching it to get a tutorial on how to achieve this...

But was hoping someone could help me in how I can achieve this, using a gradient or pattern? I tried doing the gradient, but couldn't figure out how to make it apply to the text itself rather than a rectangle overtop of the text. I know I am probably missing a step someplace, but wasn't sure where. And I'm looking to do it horizontally and not veritcally.

Thanks! Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-10-2022, 10:21 PM)shorte85 Wrote: I wasn't really sure where to ask this. So I figured post it in this thread, and go from there.

I tried searching google, but wasn't sure how to go about searching it to get a tutorial on how to achieve this...

But was hoping someone could help me in how I can achieve this, using a gradient or pattern? I tried doing the gradient, but couldn't figure out how to make it apply to the text itself rather than a rectangle overtop of the text. I know I am probably missing a step someplace, but wasn't sure where. And I'm looking to do it horizontally and not veritcally.

Thanks! Smile

I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly.
Perhaps using Custom Fonts is an option.

There are a series of plugins that produce the most diverse tools to help edit Custom Fonts.

In the image below I used Custom Font Face Maker V0.08.py
[Image: JkoJekY.png]
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Thanks, I'll look into the plugins. Smile
Couple other ways you could go about it is to fill your text with either then stroke it with the other. Or alpha to select your text and add a border which will only add the selection to the border then and fill that with either. Invert your selection and fill with the other

Smile
To make anything apply on to the text shape, several methods:
  • Set the Alpha lock on the text layer and then apply paint (Brush, Gradient, bucket-fill). Easier solution but this makes the text layer a plain layer (so you cannot edit the text further without redoing everything from scratch)
Or:
  • Create a group with two layers:  
  • A top layer for the color, set to Multiply mode
  • A bottom layer for the text
  • Create the text in white
  • Apply the painting to the top layer
  • You can paint different parts of the top layer differently if you use selections, if you need to do something really fancy you can replace the top layer by another group (set that group to Multiply)

Using separate layers makes it easy to change your mind or tweak things, for instance below I only replaced the layer with squares by one with triangles

Or even classier IMHO with smaller triangles for the feet:

If it is just a one-off / infrequent effect. Another way:

Layer -> Duplicate layer
Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to selection
Fill with pattern / colour
Layer -> Mask -> Add layer mask (white)
Black FG paint out the layer mask as required:

50 second example https://i.imgur.com/u1XL0so.mp4
Great suggestions everyone. I just thought of another way it can be done - Almost the same as rich without using masks.
Do your text  Text
Duplicate it , making sure you only have the middle layer selected  (assuming you have a background and two text layers now) and turn the eye off the top layer. Alpha to select the text and fill it with a pattern of your choice. Select > none.
Now go to the top text layer (Turn the eye back on and make sure it is selected) Alpha to select and fill with the gradient  Blend  of your choice.
Making sure your top layer is still selected using the rectangle SelectRect select tool and go around the top or bottom half of your text, press delete.
If you have more than one line of text you will need to do this multiple times.
Here is one with the pattern on the bottom

[attachment=7515]

Smile
Hey thanks everyone! I appreciate it!! Big Grin