Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to match colour tone across several photos?
Hi everyone, I’m trying to adjust several photos with Gimp (V2.10.22) to look like they have the same colouring.
I have several photos of the same piece of wood furniture, but the colour of the wood is a slightly different shade of brown in each photo.
I understand that the camera will take a different white balance reading each time a photo is taken, and this leads to colour variations between different photos. However, I’m not in a position to retake the photos with a fixed white balance, and so I need to edit the images to get them looking the same.

I’ve included three sample images to illustrate the problem (there are many other photos that I need to colour match too). You can see the colour difference between images 1 and 2.
Image 3 is edited, and the colours look the most like the actual wood colour. However, editing the other photos in the same way is not an option because it’s very difficult to get the colours looking the same by eye.

Is it possible in Gimp to take a colour profile/map/palette (I’m not sure of the correct terminology) from one photo, and apply it to the other photos so that they all have the same colouring?

Many thanks,

Andy_C

[Image: P1260611-623-623-Coladj-With-Numbers-For...arison.jpg]
Maybe this gimp tool can help you : Colours / Map / Sample Colourise
Info : https://www.tanguayphotomag.biz/gimp/usi...image.html
I get a reasonable result using the Gimp gmic plugin http://www.gmic.eu

Using the light image and dark image to create a before/after look-up-table (CLUT) 

The the same plugin, apply the CLUT to color the light images. Reads more complicated than it is, just need two, preferebly the same , image to difference.

left side is the comparison.
Well. I've often used the gmic-plugin "Transfer-Colors" by David Tschumperle.
The photos have to be layers as input. After the coloriziation you have to export the layers as images.
Here is the result with "Transfer-Colors[PCA]"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well, I usually like to use Get RGB Curves in these cases (both in Pat David's version and Tim's version).

In some cases I use Transfer Colors, by Diego (aka Dinasset).

I was unaware of obtaining it via the filters presented here by both rich2005 and MichaJo (respectively CLUT from After - Before Layers // Apply External CLUT and Transfer Colors [PCA]).

However, at least in this case, I found all the results I got to be somewhat "dull". Reminds me a bit when trying to color black and white photographs. Perhaps a post-process to bring the original image back to life is necessary.

Here using Get RGB Curves by Pat David:

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.