Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to overlay layers
What I'm trying to do is overlay a stack of layers on top of another stack, keeping the order of the layers.

Something like I tried to demonstrate in the image below, where the stack of Image 02 is on top of the stack of Image 01.
[Image: hqXeQvR.png]
I tried to use the Plug-in Interleave layers, but the interleaving between the layers occurs (alternating layers of Image 01 with those of Image 02).
[Image: 4Xsf9V6.png]
I tried:
A - Export the layers of Image 02;
B - Open as layers, inside Image 01.

But in this case there is an inversion in the order of the layers of Image 02:
Instead of coming in order (from top to bottom) A00, A01, ..., A50, it comes as A50, ...,A01, A00.

I thought of using the Layer - Stack - Reverse Layer Order option, but in this case all the layers of the image are inverted and not just the layers of Image 02 (which are inverted by this process).

In short, what would be the way to obtain the result of Image 03

Thx!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Question: Can you get the layers of image 01(layer 00 to 50) and image 02(layer A00 to A50)  in their own layer group from the beginning? (you will have to move only one group to get image 03)

Quote:I tried:
B - Open as layers, inside Image 01.
Then > Import the xcf inside a layer group(folder) in Image 01
You can drag n drop an image or a xcf file from your Desktop (or any directory) directly inside the Layer dialog > thus inside a layer group (a thin horizontal bar will show you where it will land in the layer dialog allowing you to move the mouse to choose where in the stack it will land while dragging your xcf)
If you have some special blending mode in those layers and if the effect is not working properly once in the group > Select the group and set the Mode to "Pass through" = everything will be OK Wink

I think using the Align tool

Open the first image stack
Turn the visibility of everything off (need for the Align rubber banding)
Go to the top of the stack
Open As Layers the second image stack . That should now be above the first (invisible stack)
Make a path (for the Align tool) along the bottom edge of the image.
Open the Align Tool and rubber band, (like making a selection) the whole image.
Choose Relative to: Active path
Click on Align top edge of target.
Image -> Fit canvas to layers
Make everything visible.

Reads more complicated than it is: All in 45 seconds: https://i.imgur.com/4Tjgci2.mp4
Pixlab and Rich2005,

I really appreciate your help in this case.

I paused part of a project just because I couldn't combine the layers as I expressed in this topic.
Fortunately I'm still on time and now I can proceed without further ado.

rich2005, I confess that I couldn't understand just through reading. Or at least not after a few tries; maybe if I persisted... maybe. But luckily the short film (45 seconds) was crystal clear.

Thank you very much.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.