Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to propagate changes from source layer to its duplicates?
Lets say I'm designing a board game cards. I have a kind of master layer group, where I have designed and hid all layer groups, needed for certain card types.
We have coins and workers. There may be certain amount of coins (so I have a layer for each occurrence , like 1, 2, 3 & 4 coins). I'm going to create a number of duplicates of that master layer as a separate cards and align them in a grid. Then I'll just turn visibility on for the required coin layer. It will create a coin cards set (1coin, 1 coin, 2 coins, 3 coins, 4 coins on the same image to be printed).

And here I want to make some changes to coin layer, lets say change margin between coins, resize or even replace the coin image (lets assume that image itself is a child layer). And I want the to be made to master layer and propagated to all duplicates, created from that layer.

Is there any way to do this in gimp?

Maybe someone knows a better tool supporting such functionality. I'll appreciate any help.
I cannot see any good way of using Gimp, reads like you have something as this simplified version using layer groups and masks: my guess: https://i.imgur.com/lHZ3tId.mp4

Do a search for linked clones, Inkscape has these but they are vectors and AFAIK limited to simple shapes: https://i.imgur.com/6Madl6u.mp4 Maybe try a question on the Inkscape forum.
(07-14-2023, 12:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Inkscape has these but they are vectors and AFAIK limited to simple shapes

Incorrect. You can clone a group with as many shapes and complexity inside as you want.
(07-14-2023, 12:15 PM)Scallact Wrote:
(07-14-2023, 12:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Inkscape has these but they are vectors and AFAIK limited to simple shapes

Incorrect. You can clone a group with as many shapes and complexity inside as you want.

I was thinking of the OP request to change out coins.

Quote:Then I'll just turn visibility on for the required coin layer. It will create a coin cards set (1coin, 1 coin, 2 coins, 3 coins, 4 coins on the same image to be printed)

Which is why I suggested asking on the Inkscape forum.
(07-14-2023, 08:24 AM)challenger Wrote: Lets say I'm designing a board game cards. I have a kind of master layer group, where I have designed and hid all layer groups, needed for certain card types.
We have coins and workers. There may be certain amount of coins (so I have a layer for each occurrence , like 1, 2, 3 & 4 coins). I'm going to create a number of duplicates of that master layer as a separate cards and align them in a grid. Then I'll just turn visibility on for the required coin layer. It will create a coin cards set (1coin, 1 coin, 2 coins, 3 coins, 4 coins on the same image to be printed).

And here I want to make some changes to coin layer, lets say change margin between coins, resize or even replace the coin image (lets assume that image itself is a child layer). And I want the to be made to master layer and propagated to all duplicates, created from that layer.

Is there any way to do this in gimp?

Maybe someone knows a better tool supporting such functionality. I'll appreciate any help.

Different technique, merge the layers just on export, using ofn-export-layer-combinations?