Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to remove imprint of a circle when moving it
Been using Gimp for about a week now but cant seem to find an answer for this. Im trying to put three same size circles on a page but when i move them it always leaves a faint border behind and i cant seem to remove it. I float the image to allow me to move it and then anchor down so i assume im doing this bit right but the imprint is left behind. Picture attached.

Attached Files Image(s)

Can you give a few more details, such as how you are making that floating ...what.. copied selection maybe.

However my guess is you have the circle on a single layer and you are selecting, copying and pasting leaving part of the selection behind.

A better way might be make the original circle on a new transparent layer. Duplicate the layer twice, move the duplicates for the three circles. Something like this:

It can help if you give a screenshot of the whole gimp interface, tools / tool options / layers etc.
Hi,

Im making it on its own layer for each circle. Just seems to leave a border behind each time when i move it around.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Difficult to see from that screenshot. From the icon sizes it looks like a 4k display might just be a graphic card issue.

Those 'ghost' circles are on the layer you are moving ? Are they there when you toggle the bottom (background) visibility off.

You are not showing the tool options but not much in the move tool options except a move the active layer toggle.

How did you make a circle in the first place ?

Edit: This a quick animation of moving 3 circles. How do you differ from the basics. (do not worry about the Gimp interface, it is that way so you can see what is going on)

https://i.imgur.com/ieuO9kw.mp4
Thanks, that has helped. The only thing i need to know now is how to then use the allign tool for each circle so i can evenly space them out. Before i was floating the circle but maybe thats what caused the ghosting?
Quote:The only thing i need to know now is how to then use the allign tool for each circle so i can evenly space them out.

I would be inclined to set up a grid and move each layer accordingly. You can set up a grid on an image basis from Image -> Configure Grid and show it View -> Show Grid (toggles) When you 'Save' an image as an .xcf these settings remain for that image.

However, for the align tool
I would trim the circle layer(s) using Layer -> Crop to Content first.
Have the circles stacked one-above-the-other.
Draw a Path for the distribution
Using the Align tool, Rubber Band (select) all the layers
Apply the align tool using Relative to Active path and Distribute (evenly in the horizontal)

If you link the layers together they will move as one using the move tool.

Sorry, yet another 40 second demo. https://i.imgur.com/L05Xlbm.mp4