Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to remove logo from white background
I have a logo that is inside a box with white background. I need to extract the logo and the text so that there I can have a transparent background. It's a jpeg image. I've use so the lasso and scissors, but once I've selected the foreground it just gets stuck. I really just wan to erase background and box. What's the easiest way to do this with a MacBook?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

• Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel
  • Fuzzy select the background. Shift-click in the loops of the letters to include them in the selection
  • Select>Grow (2pixels)
  • Colors>Color to alpha and remove the white.
Just to add to what Ofnuts said:

jpeg does not preserve transparency. Export as a png.
I see that you already got useful replies; However, I also wanted to leave one myself.

The first thing you should do is add an alpha channel to the layer.

Right click to the layer -> Add Alpha Channel

Then, select the fuzzy select tool (The one that looks like a magic wand) and click on the white blackround. After that, press the "Supr" key on your keyboard.

Finally, do File -> Export As and export it as a PNG picture.

I hope this was useful Smile
(09-21-2017, 03:30 PM)Tonko Wrote: Then, select the fuzzy select tool (The one that looks like a magic wand) and click on the white blackround. After that, press the "Supr" key on your keyboard.

No, no, and no. If you do that, either the text will be pixellated (threshold too big) and you will have a white halo around the text (small threshold). This, because the fuzzy select either completely selects pixels or doesn't select them at all. The text is smooth because its edge pixels are of a color which is a blend of the text color and the white of the background. If you want to keep a smooth border to the text, you have to replace the white by transparency, which is what color-to-alpha does.

In the image below, the results of the Fuzzy+Delete using varoius thresholds (15, 60,100) and at the bottom the Color-2-alpha result,  over a contrasting background. Threshold 15 leaves a lot of dirt. This disappears with a bigger threshold, but the letters are made thinner. The bottom is the Color-To-Alpha result.