Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to resize the entirety of a pasted encircled image
I'm trying to follow this tutorial, I'm actually making a similar project where I switched out the face in a dollar bill 
https://youtu.be/ssto96FvE24?t=124

If you see it at 2:04 this is where I have trouble. The face I pasted into it is too big, how do I resize it?? I've tried the Scale tool but it just makes the exact part showing in the circle bigger or smaller. It'd be tough to scale it separately off the image because I won't know the exact size to make it to look good in the circle..any tips I'm missing?
Make sure the picture that you try to paste is on a layer behind the layer with the dollar bill (where you cut a hole in it). Then you can scale and place the picture to the right place and scale.
(10-29-2019, 07:21 AM)denzjos Wrote: Make sure the picture that you try to paste is on a layer behind the layer with the dollar bill (where you cut a hole in it). Then you can scale and place the picture to the right place and scale.

Oh..for some reason it's not letting me move the layers. I actually have another gimp file open where the move layers function is working! The layer icons appear different. Usually it's a vertically longer rectangle, but in this file where it doesn't let me move it the rectangles are longer width wise.. it doesn't even let me select a different layer than the one currently selected :/
(10-29-2019, 07:32 AM)marigolden Wrote: Oh..for some reason it's not letting me move the layers. I actually have another gimp file open where the move layers function is working! The layer icons appear different. Usually it's a vertically longer rectangle, but in this file where it doesn't let me move it the rectangles are longer width wise.. it doesn't even let me select a different layer than the one currently selected :/
Move layers in the layers stack or move layers across the canvas? Can you post a screenshot f the Layers list?
(10-29-2019, 07:43 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 07:32 AM)marigolden Wrote: Oh..for some reason it's not letting me move the layers. I actually have another gimp file open where the move layers function is working! The layer icons appear different. Usually it's a vertically longer rectangle, but in this file where it doesn't let me move it the rectangles are longer width wise.. it doesn't even let me select a different layer than the one currently selected :/
Move layers in the layers stack or move layers across the canvas? Can you post a screenshot f the Layers list?

https://imgur.com/a/mqB6GPL

Here it is, maybe you can tell me what happened for curiosity. 
What I did in meantime was just start over and make sure to order the layers where the face was 1st, then the dollar on top as denjoz suggested. The new problem is that the picture is sticking out from the top and bottom. I tried to crop it but it would delete the dollar too, so I deleted the dollar layer. However when I try to crop the picture the new issue is that it makes the transparent background behind it smaller which I don't want. Because the canvas is already smaller than is ideal because of having to open the picture first rather than the dollar image first so the canvas is sized to fit the picture instead of the horizontally longer dollar as it is. How do I crop the image without it deleting part of the transparent background too?
In the layers list you have a Floating Selection. Right click on that and select To New Layer.
(10-29-2019, 08:30 AM)Blighty Wrote: In the layers list you have a Floating Selection. Right click on that  and select To New Layer.

Ahh it worked!!! It now lets me move layers

Earlier I figured all this was a lot of hassle so I figured out how to do it with Word +Powerpoint.. went to layout options for the picture, put "behind text", and the dollar "in front of text", got positioning right & cropped as needed, copied them together and pasted into Powerpoint to group them, then pasted it back into the word doc.
Don't get why cropping in Gimp is so complicated ><