Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to retain page size when importing PDF
Brand new to GIMP so sorry if this is a stupid question but I couldn't find the answer.

I have a pdf of labels I'm trying to print on stock. If I print directly from Acrobat they fit; the last label starts at about 9.75".

But if I open it in GIMP the last label is about .25 inch too high on the page. So it doesn't seem to be retaining the correct page size when I open it.

It's a standard 8.5 x 11.

I know in Photoshop if I try to do the same thing I have to specify to Crop to Media Box when I import but I don't see a similar option in GIMP.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
This does come up from time to time and to a certain extent depends on the printer.

Edit: Not paying attention, you are opening a PDF in Gimp, That is OK but depending on the quality required increase the resolution from 100 pixels-per-inch (ppi) to 300 ppi. then it is ;-

( Make a new US Letter size (8.5" x11") and ) when printed it is scaled to fit between margins. Most printers have a set margin, a laser printer often 1/8" all round, inkjet might have a larger bottom margin for sheet feeding. Look at your printer specs. Full size page will either truncate or scale down to fit.

Obviously depends on the label contents but crop the label image down to say 8" x 10" and it should fit between the margins. example settings https://i.imgur.com/Gb6iyYZ.jpg

Note: For Windows Gimp printing is not so good. If you use the default black/grey themes part of the print dialogue is missing. This with system theme: https://i.imgur.com/4faD2ho.jpg

Another way Make your label image in Gimp but print in some other program. LibreOffice for example.
Well the problem isn't in the printer because the size is wrong on GIMP before I try to print. I can see by the rulers that the last label is about 1/4 " too high on the page. I can't create the labels any other way; they come from Amazon. They are sku labels that Amazon generates: 30 per page. Normally I would open the pdf in Photoshop and erase the labels that don't match the remaining labels on my stock. But I just got a new computer and my Photoshop CS6 isn't transferable. I refuse to pay for a subscription service for something that I use in such a basic way.
Never mind, I've uninstalled Gimp. If it can't handle the first simple thing I try to do, I don't want to spend a lot of time on it.
Yes, as the old saying goes, You pays your money. You makes your choice

In case anyone else comes across this post, this is what to look for in your printer specs. 
This is my printer - The printable area.

What this means is, without you the user setting both Gimp and your printer software
1) The standard size (US Letter / A4 ) image shrinks to fit the printable area
or
2) the image is truncated by the margin amount, in this case 6 mm = 0.25"

Often the easiest way is trim the image yourself in Gimp so that it fits the printable area.